Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Basics of Bedding, and other stuff...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2005, 02:03 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Basics of Bedding, and other stuff...

btt
found it, this is my favorite thread.
Old 10-16-2005, 05:35 PM
Silver Member

A couple of my own bedding jobs,

The first a Tikka 595 action onto McMillan Sako Varmint stock, recoil lug is permanently in stock, otherwise it requires brazing or glueing to action.

Second, custom rem 700LA 6.5x284.

Finnished stock

Preparation is all [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-27-2007, 08:59 PM
PUBLISHER

We have so much good stuff on this site....!

Long Range Rifles, LLC - Ready To Ship

Components and assembly by LRH Sponsors
Old 12-14-2007, 10:50 AM
Silver Member

bedding techniques

I build custom mausers from time to time. They are all blued steel with nice walnut for stocks. I put 2 or 3 layers of duct tape lengthwise down the barrel, and use a hair dryer to have absolutely no wrinkles. I spray brownells release on the whole mess, and bed the entire action area and barrel channel. This really seals up the barrel channel to prevent anything from being absorbed in there. When you remove the barreled action, everything gets cleaned off, and a wire wheel makes short work of the duct tape adhesive. The steel gets blued, and when you put it back together, the space where the duct tape was leaves a nice even free float. I'm building my first long range rig right now, and an thinking that the duct tape will start 3 or 4 inches down the barrel rather than at the lug, and then I will have a barrel pad to go with it. Thought and comments appreciated.
wk
"It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, who's face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who, at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat."
Theodore Roosevelt
Old 01-31-2009, 08:33 AM
PUBLISHER

Here is another one of Ian's helpful threads.

I miss him.

Long Range Rifles, LLC - Ready To Ship

Components and assembly by LRH Sponsors
Old 02-01-2009, 01:11 PM
Gold Member

Okey help me out. I only did 2 in my life time for my self. First one 10 years ago and forgot most of what i did but turned out well. The secnd one 2 years ago a 260 in model 7. The problem i had i had bedding compound come up thru action and in to the chamber threads. What a *************** mess to clean out. I got it though and gun shoots well. What did i do wrong. I removed magazine and didnt use any tape on action just sprayed it but installed action and tightned down bottom plate with the screws.
Mike