Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

barrel weight and accuracy problems

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2009, 03:54 AM
Bronze Member

barrel weight and accuracy problems

I have a 6x47 lapua on a rem700 SA. the action has been trued and its sitting in a macmillan A5. it has a 30" lilja #8 contour and the barrel is completely free floating.

just wondering if the weight of the barrel on that action could be causing accuracy problems?

cant get the rifle to shoot that well, just wondering if i cut the barrel back to 26" would it make the world of difference?
Old 11-30-2009, 03:19 PM
Platinum Member

Re: barrel weight and accuracy problems

No expert here, but I would think if the recoil lug is properly bedded, it shouldn't be a problem?

Mark
Old 11-30-2009, 08:39 PM
Gold Member

There are a great many Palma rifles built on 30" tubes fitted to Remingtons that raise all kinds of hell with the X ring at 1000 yards.

You have a cartridge capable of tremendous accuracy so you can eliminate that assuming your hand load procedure is solid.

There are a number of things that can cause elevation, flyers, and those annoying random "orphan" shots that don't want to mingle with the rest of the holes.

Start looking for a binding guard screw, a bolt handle touching, poor fitting bolt shroud, loose sights/scope, bad sights/scope, a cracked stock, a loose pillar, a bad/dinged crown, a worn out striker spring, crap bedding job, poor action machine work, and last but not least (drum roll please. . .) IS the barrel screwed on tight?

good luck!
Old 11-30-2009, 09:14 PM
Platinum Member

I wouldn't cut the barrel, I don't think your barrel weight on the action is the issue. When you say "it doesn't shoot that well" That's pretty subjective. Can you elaborate ie-are you having the occassional flyer? Is it not grouping? A little more info would be helpful.
Old 12-01-2009, 12:48 AM
Bronze Member

okay accuracy wise. i would call 3 out of 5 shots into a half inch at 100yards a very good load. ive used 3 different bullets of different weights and different styles with 3 different powders and it wont shoot.

actually i just noticed the bolt handle touches the stock when its closed. might have to deal to that!

the stock was orignally for a remington model 7. but it has been modified. the action can move forward in the stock but with the bolts done up i cant get it to move at all, im assuming the recoil lug is hard against the bedding when its done up tight. a professional did the bedding job and to me it looks good but maybe the bolt hitting the stock is the problem.

as i said the bolt was trued and all the guts ( firepin, bolt shroud, spring ect) was replaced with a speedlock system
Old 12-01-2009, 04:58 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZP View Post
the action can move forward in the stock but with the bolts done up i cant get it to move at all, im assuming the recoil lug is hard against the bedding when its done up tight. a professional did the bedding job and to me it looks good but maybe the bolt hitting the stock is the problem.

I'm no expert either, but that sounds like your problem.
"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."-- Samuel Adams
Old 12-01-2009, 10:34 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
a professional did the bedding job and to me it looks good but maybe the bolt hitting the stock is the problem.
Hate to be the one to say this, but professionals don't allow bolt handles to touch stocks. You'd be wise to check EVERYTHING.

One other thing to check, is the magazine box able to wiggle up and down? If it's bound up it means that bedding job isn't doing anything as the action isn't in the stock, it's sitting on top of the mag box. You should have about .030-.050 of wiggle room.

Good luck.