Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

barrel torque

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2010, 01:35 PM
Silver Member

Re: barrel torque

Well said Chad.

Fitch
Old 04-05-2010, 06:20 AM
Gold Member

Chad, I'll add two more cents, for a total of 4 cents worth of advice. I was referring to score shooting BR as well as group shooting BR. As you well know, retaining your zero, in a score match, is critical if you wish to punch out that tiny dot 25 times. Would I suggest using an action wrench and a barrel vise everytime? Yes, but not always absolutely needed.
Old 04-07-2010, 05:03 PM
Platinum Member

Interesting thread which relates a little to something I've been thinking about... namely putting together a switch barrel rilfe... and I wanted to be able to set the barrels with 1 or 2 set screws. Hand twist them on to a preindexed point and then set the set screws. The screws would screw into/through the reciever into a nothched portion of the barrels thread, which would index it to the same point everytime you swapped it on.

Bad or good idea, and why?

-Mark
Old 04-07-2010, 05:17 PM
Platinum Member

125, 150 ft. lbs. or torque...damn that's alot. I've rebuilt a few motors in my day and usually torqued head bolts to 60. But then again motors and guns are...well to steal a phrase from Chad...like apples and oranges. Just curious how are you able to apply that kinda force...afterall it's not like you can slap a socket or a big wrench to the barrel...so how's it done?
Old 04-07-2010, 05:36 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas1 View Post
125, 150 ft. lbs. or torque...damn that's alot. I've rebuilt a few motors in my day and usually torqued head bolts to 60. But then again motors and guns are...well to steal a phrase from Chad...like apples and oranges. Just curious how are you able to apply that kinda force...afterall it's not like you can slap a socket or a big wrench to the barrel...so how's it done?
It takes a barrel vice and a action wrench.

As I said I don't use but 50 to 70 ft/lbs because I dont wan't to load the threads any more
than nessary to keep it from working loose and letting the 60,000 PSI do the rest on the
threads.

I have torqued to well over 100 ft/lbs and found no advantage in accuracy .

I have owned 2 rifles that started shooting poorly and discovered that the barrel was only
hand tight. (They were torqued @ 30 ft/lbs) so I up the torque to 70 ft/lbs and solved the problem. (On actions with small tenons I drop the torque down a bit.

Everyone has there own idea of what torque is nessary and I don't think it makes that
much difference It's just a matter of choice.

J E CUSTOM