Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing


Reply

Barrel to stock fit??

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-19-2010, 07:21 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Roseburg, Oregon
Posts: 300
Barrel to stock fit??

Do you see any problems with having this big of a gap between barrel and stock? Good? Bad? Why?

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/b...7/DSCN5242.jpg
http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/b...7/DSCN5241.jpg
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-19-2010, 08:50 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,193
Re: Barrel to stock fit??

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmagator View Post
Do you see any problems with having this big of a gap between barrel and stock? Good? Bad? Why?

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/b...7/DSCN5242.jpg
http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/b...7/DSCN5241.jpg

It doesn't hurt anything as far as accuracy. If you could bed it to .040 to .050 away from the barrel It would look better and add some strength to the forearm.

One way to do this is to add layers of duck tape until you get the clearance you want and put bedding compound in the barrel channel and press the barrel back down it the channel.(Use
the action screws to place the action back in the original position and then make sure that the barrel is where you want it.

Then touch it up with a color matched paint and your done.

If it doesn't bother you don't worry about it.

J E CUSTOM
__________________
"PRESS ON"
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-19-2010, 09:27 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Roseburg, Oregon
Posts: 300
Re: Barrel to stock fit??

Quote:
Originally Posted by J E Custom View Post
It doesn't hurt anything as far as accuracy. If you could bed it to .040 to .050 away from the barrel It would look better and add some strength to the forearm.

One way to do this is to add layers of duck tape until you get the clearance you want and put bedding compound in the barrel channel and press the barrel back down it the channel.(Use
the action screws to place the action back in the original position and then make sure that the barrel is where you want it.

Then touch it up with a color matched paint and your done.

If it doesn't bother you don't worry about it.

J E CUSTOM
So as far as rifle performance it wont hurt anything? Just a cosmetic thing?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-20-2010, 05:59 AM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: PA
Posts: 1,047
Re: Barrel to stock fit??

At one time I had a Sako .222 heavy barrel with that much gap in the factory stock. It shot lights out.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-20-2010, 08:11 AM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,193
Re: Barrel to stock fit??

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmagator View Post
So as far as rifle performance it wont hurt anything? Just a cosmetic thing?

Correct .

If the stock touches the barrel , it can effect the accuracy/consistency.

If it does not, then it will have little or no effect on the barrel.

The amount of clearance is where the cosmetic factor comes in.

I don't mind excessive clearance as long as it is the same all the way?(Uniform from action to
muzzle.

Some factory rifles come with the stock bearing on the barrel to dampen harmonics in the lighter barrels and give some degree of accuracy for two or three shots.

Hope this helps.

J E CUSTOM
__________________
"PRESS ON"
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-20-2010, 08:25 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Roseburg, Oregon
Posts: 300
Re: Barrel to stock fit??

There must be cons other than cosmetic, or everybody would setup their rifles like this.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads for: Barrel to stock fit??
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
WTS Rem RH SA Laminate Stock and 22-250 Barrel.Barrel sold, stock is Sold CPGfan Gun Parts - Stocks, Barrels, Actions, etc. 9 06-15-2011 01:17 PM
FS 700 mtn Ti stock + B&C stock and barrel pd721el Gun Parts - Stocks, Barrels, Actions, etc. 4 12-09-2009 10:27 AM
FS: Savage SA stock, 10/22 stock and barrel (ND) nad1967 Gun Parts - Stocks, Barrels, Actions, etc. 0 10-02-2008 12:24 PM
barrel to stock fit dmgreene Gunsmithing 2 10-13-2007 09:16 PM
NEW Rem SPS stock and barrel Magnus Guns For Sale 3 06-08-2006 02:22 PM

Current Poll
Spot & Stalk or Ambush For Western Deer?
MOSTLY - Spot & Stalk - 74.16%
930 Votes
MOSTLY - Ambush - 25.84%
324 Votes
Total Votes: 1,254
You may not vote on this poll.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:11 AM.


Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
All content ©2010-2014 Long Range Hunting, LLC