Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Barrel installation

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2008, 06:07 PM
SPONSOR

The propane torch isn't held on very long and is kept rotating around the action. I would guess it's only about 200-300 degrees F or less when the epoxy lets loose. It's not enough heat to do any damage to the grain structure of the metal. I've had a Weatherby Vanguard action that the blueing got a little dis-colored I just stripped it and re-blued. I haven't had a Remington dis-color, but it could happen. If the gun "blew up" you may have some other concerns worth checking. How bad was the blow up and what happened?

www.mcrifles.com
Old 04-18-2008, 07:58 PM
Platinum Member

I found the best, simplest and fastest way to remove the barrel is to set the action wrench to the 10 o'clock position as you stand behind the rifle. Take a good rubber mallet and wind up with one good whack. Done this way it typically only takes one whack of the mallet to spin the action and wrench around.

What some people do wrong is to tighten the wrench to hard onto the action, this can compress the action on the barrel, and that is what makes it extremly difficult to remove.
My wrench has a hole in it so a bolt can be inserted into the reciever to keep the wrench from spinning, and keep the operator from over tightening the wrench.

I have not had to put heat to any action/barrel joint.