Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Barrel flute timing?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2013, 10:40 AM
Platinum Member

Barrel flute timing?

I like my flutes situated so that at the stock line the barrel is solid as it is on all factory built rifles. On customs I regularly see guys timing the flutes so there is a gap at the stock. This leaves lots of room for debris to get under the barrel. This way is much easier to do as the timing isn't as critical and the stock fit doesn't have to be as precise. With it being done so much I'm starting to think people prefer the gaps.

Any insight?

Only accurate rifles are interesting.

Gordy and Brady.
Old 10-01-2013, 01:39 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Barrel flute timing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hired Gun View Post
I like my flutes situated so that at the stock line the barrel is solid as it is on all factory built rifles. On customs I regularly see guys timing the flutes so there is a gap at the stock. This leaves lots of room for debris to get under the barrel. This way is much easier to do as the timing isn't as critical and the stock fit doesn't have to be as precise. With it being done so much I'm starting to think people prefer the gaps.

Any insight?

In my opinion, you are doing it the right way.

It looks better and makes the barrel to stock fit look much better.

Its like on an expensive car, the seams on all parts are the same spacing and gives the feeling of quality and precision.

There is always two ways to do something, The Right Way and the other way.

J E CUSTOM
Old 10-01-2013, 02:57 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J E Custom View Post
In my opinion, you are doing it the right way.

It looks better and makes the barrel to stock fit look much better.

Its like on an expensive car, the seams on all parts are the same spacing and gives the feeling of quality and precision.

There is always two ways to do something, The Right Way and the other way.

J E CUSTOM
JE, most barrels will have a crown of about a couple of thou or so. I have heard it's best to time the crown so it is in the vertical plane. Your thoughts?

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 10-01-2013, 03:53 PM
Gold Member

It's from the drill wandering during the drilling process. I orientate it either straight up or straight down.

With some of the high flute count barrels it's not always easy to line up the high spots with the stock. I just did a Obermeyer fluted barrel and the flats are about 1/8" wide.
Old 10-01-2013, 09:02 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
JE, most barrels will have a crown of about a couple of thou or so. I have heard it's best to time the crown so it is in the vertical plane. Your thoughts?

Not sure what you are trying to do. Maybe I don't understand the question.

After the barrel is checked for run out it is set up true to the bore on both ends and all work is done off this center line including the crown. There should be no difference in the vertical plane based on the orientation of the barrel/flutes if the barrel has little or no run out. I like to single point all crowns so they are true to the bore.

If the crown is not square with the bore it should be re cut.

On a fluted barrel it really doesn't matter what the orientation is for accuracy, it is just a matter of looks. If it is not timed one way or the other it really looks like poor workmanship.

J E CUSTOM
Old 10-01-2013, 09:33 PM
Gold Member

All bores are curved. They are turned on centers but some are like a jump rope between the two ends and some are out very little. He is talking about timing the curve of the bore into the vertical plane weather it is pointed up or down. If you have a long stem indicator you can dial a barrel in with the indicator in as far as it will go and then pull it out a inch or so and dial it in there as well. Basically your going in and out until that 1" section runs as true as you can make it. Then you run a indicator on the opposite end of the barrel to find the run out or "high spot". In theory this makes the point where the bullet enters the rifling as straight as possible to the bore.
Old 10-01-2013, 09:44 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoCTD View Post
All bores are curved. They are turned on centers but some are like a jump rope between the two ends and some are out very little. He is talking about timing the curve of the bore into the vertical plane weather it is pointed up or down. If you have a long stem indicator you can dial a barrel in with the indicator in as far as it will go and then pull it out a inch or so and dial it in there as well. Basically your going in and out until that 1" section runs as true as you can make it. Then you run a indicator on the opposite end of the barrel to find the run out or "high spot". In theory this makes the point where the bullet enters the rifling as straight as possible to the bore.

Yup, that is what I'm talking about

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams