Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

barrel crown

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2011, 10:05 PM

Re: barrel crown

I have looked at the HawkEye models in the recent past. Actually a better choice of words would be "lusted" or "hungered after".

Trouble is that I'm retired on a fixed income. They are just plain too much money.

If I did have that kind of coin laying around, I'd buy a barrel.

Cheers!
Old 02-22-2011, 09:45 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susquatch View Post
I have looked at the HawkEye models in the recent past. Actually a better choice of words would be "lusted" or "hungered after".

Trouble is that I'm retired on a fixed income. They are just plain too much money.

If I did have that kind of coin laying around, I'd buy a barrel.

Cheers!

I hear you !!!

I lucked out and found one that had a problem with the power supply (The battery had leaked
and corroded up real bad).

The guy said it was the light bulb and they were real cheep.(I knew better, and that he was trying
to cheat me) so I acted dumb (Easy for me) and offered him .$250.00 for it.

The fix was easy and later I had to tell him that I fixed it by simply swapping the power supply (The
little Mag Light is a perfect match) and replaces it .

So for $260.00 I have a complete setup with case and all.

PS: The Con,backfired on him and the look on his face was priceless when I told him I fixed it
for $10.00.

I have seen some good deals on line but you have to check them often or they will be gone.

I to am retired and on a fixed income so I know where you are coming from.

J E CUSTOM

Last edited by J E Custom; 02-22-2011 at 05:16 PM.
Old 02-24-2011, 06:11 AM
Platinum Member

Just had a factory 700 barrel re-crowned, accuracy did not improve. After scoping, we could see a very small burr about 1/2" below the muzzle. Even tho removed, it was no help. BTW, burrs can sometimes be found with a Q tip; run it down and slowly back up each groove, and see if a burr will pick a strand of cotton off.
Old 02-24-2011, 09:01 AM

Others will no doubt argue. IMHO, Remington sells diamonds in the rough. Very very few 700s shoot well out of the box. The vast majority look and feel like junk. But I have never owned or worked on one that couldn't be made to shoot well under an inch (typically 1/2 to 3/4 in for 30 cal and under) with reasonable tuning.

1. Dump the forend pressure, then check the action bedding - in that order. If there is any binding or if you can feel any movement at the forend/barrel interface or rear tang/stock with your thumb lightly touching both steel and wood when the acton screws are loosened or tightened, step 4 is not optional.
2. Run a box of Tubbs lapping bullets through it - follow directions thoroughly.
3. Lap the crown just enough to include the crown ends of the lands.
4. If that doesn't do it, glass bed the action (with pillars if you can).

Sometimes it takes a bit more than that, but not very often. Whole books have been written on other "tinkering" options and all of them include options that work well on the 700.

By the way, Tubbs would probably have eliminated the burr.

Last but not least I would be remiss if I did not add that finished diamonds are available everywhere for big bucks. But turning a rough diamond 700 into a fine gem tack driver is a labour of love that provides the kind of satisfaction and pride that money simply cannot buy.

Just one old man's point of view.

Last edited by Susquatch; 02-24-2011 at 10:48 PM.