close
Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Reply

barrel crown

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Unread 02-10-2011, 10:12 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 6
barrel crown

what is the actual purpose and benefit of crowning a barrel
Reply With Quote
  •   #2  
    Unread 02-10-2011, 10:53 PM
    Platinum Member
     
    Join Date: Nov 2008
    Location: SW Montana
    Posts: 5,514
    Re: barrel crown

    The crown is the last influence you or your rifle have on the bullet, how that bullet leaves the barrel will make or break your accuracy. You want the bullet to leave the barrel cleanly and evenly, if you have a bur or have a crown not perfect to the bore this will not happen. Not an expert but I'm finding that when I re crown them it makes a big difference! Surely someone else will give you a better answer but that's my two pennies
    __________________
    "Pain is weakness leaving your body"
    Reply With Quote

      #3  
    Unread 02-10-2011, 10:54 PM
    Platinum Member
     
    Join Date: Jul 2004
    Location: Texas
    Posts: 6,921
    Re: barrel crown

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by whitetail predator View Post
    what is the actual purpose and benefit of crowning a barrel
    It aids in the bullet and gasses leaving the barrel cleanly and uniformly.
    Improving accuracy.

    The bullet is under complete control of the barrel until it exits and any unevenness in
    the gas escaping can push the bullet off course.

    When a proper crown is used It is sharp and square to the bore. This is the reason it is best
    not to clean from the muzzle end of the barrel if possible because you can damage the crown
    and hurt the accuracy.

    J E CUSTOM
    __________________
    "PRESS ON"
    Reply With Quote
      #4  
    Unread 02-13-2011, 02:34 PM
    Bronze Member
     
    Join Date: Nov 2010
    Location: Helena, MT
    Posts: 96
    Re: barrel crown

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by J E Custom View Post
    It aids in the bullet and gasses leaving the barrel cleanly and uniformly.
    Improving accuracy.

    The bullet is under complete control of the barrel until it exits and any unevenness in
    the gas escaping can push the bullet off course.

    When a proper crown is used It is sharp and square to the bore. This is the reason it is best
    not to clean from the muzzle end of the barrel if possible because you can damage the crown
    and hurt the accuracy.

    J E CUSTOM
    This is something that's interested me for a while. I think most gunsmiths recommend an 11 degree target crown. Is 11 better that 10 or 12 degrees? Somebody must have done tons of research to determine that was the best angle for bullet and gas release. Yet the factories don't do this. Why? Must be cheaper to just put that bubble thing on there. Then when gunsmiths put a brake on the muzzle, gas goes every-which-way. So most agree that crowning is not critical and just make a 90 degree cut. Strange. Personally I think that as long as the crown is perfectly perpendicular to the bore, and free of burrs or damage, the shape of the crown really doesn't make much difference. But I've been wrong about less important stuff before.

    -- gr8whyt
    Reply With Quote
      #5  
    Unread 02-13-2011, 04:50 PM
    Platinum Member
     
    Join Date: Apr 2003
    Location: North Bend, Oregon
    Posts: 1,491
    Re: barrel crown

    There is nothing magic about 11 degrees. Even and square to the bore interior is most important.
    __________________
    Some kids want to be a fireman or a doctor to help people. I wanted to be a gunsmith.

    NRA Life Member and I vote.

    Only accurate rifles are interesting.

    Gordy and Brady.
    Reply With Quote
      #6  
    Unread 02-13-2011, 09:04 PM
    Platinum Member
     
    Join Date: Apr 2010
    Location: Allen, TX
    Posts: 2,608
    Re: barrel crown

    Quote:
    Then when gunsmiths put a brake on the muzzle, gas goes every-which-way. So most agree that crowning is not critical and just make a 90 degree cut. Strange.
    I don't know if that's a true statement.

    (1) You still need a decent crown even if it's not recessed, although I prefer recessed even though you're installing a brake. Simply making a 90 degree cut would leave burrs.

    (2) Gas doesn't "go everywhere" until the bullet is free of the barrel. The brake should be about .020" over sized. If the bullet touches the brake, you're screwed.

    -- richard
    Reply With Quote
      #7  
    Unread 02-13-2011, 09:40 PM
    Bronze Member
     
    Join Date: Nov 2010
    Location: Helena, MT
    Posts: 96
    Re: barrel crown

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rscott5028 View Post
    I don't know if that's a true statement.

    (1) You still need a decent crown even if it's not recessed, although I prefer recessed even though you're installing a brake. Simply making a 90 degree cut would leave burrs.

    (2) Gas doesn't "go everywhere" until the bullet is free of the barrel. The brake should be about .020" over sized. If the bullet touches the brake, you're screwed.

    -- richard
    Well, you're right. I didn't really mean they just saw the barrel off and leave burrs. I guess my point is as long as the barrel is cut true to the bore, I'm not convinced the shape makes a lot of difference. I'm sure it's recessed somewhat to help prevent damage.

    As far as a brake goes, the bullet is free of the bore before gas escapes, and the same goes for a muzzle with no brake. With a brake, the gas pressure exiting behind the bullet has diminished as some pressure has gone out the ports. But there is still some pressure on the base of the bullet. So everything needs to be square to keep the gas from upsetting the bullet. However, when there is no brake, it is especially necessary that everything be true and square because the full gas pressure is still bearing on the base of the bullet. I'm convinced that's why some short range benchresters really prefer flat based bullets instead of boat tails. At distances of less than 300 yds, The square base is more important than a higher ballistic coefficient. I'll climb down off the soap box now.

    -- gr8whyt
    Reply With Quote
    Reply

    Bookmarks

    Thread Tools
    Display Modes


    Similar Threads for: barrel crown
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    How bad is this crown? bookworm Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics 20 09-29-2015 08:59 AM
    Bad crown? Preda8or Reloading 5 09-23-2015 07:11 PM
    crown dud Gunsmithing 12 03-08-2010 05:59 AM
    muzzle brake and barrel crown bigtoy302 Gunsmithing 1 08-08-2008 05:54 AM
    Can you tell if your crown is bad? Laker_Taker Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics 6 11-12-2006 10:41 AM


    All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:08 PM.


    Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
    All content ©2010-2015 Long Range Hunting, LLC