Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Barrel Channel Laminate Stock

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2013, 07:28 PM
Platinum Member

Barrel Channel Laminate Stock

If a barrel channel on a laminate stock is too wide as in when I replace the barrel, it already was bedded in Marine Tex, (getting a smaller barrel for hunting.) Can I just use more Marine Tex and use that too narrow the area that on the side of the barrel channel?
Old 02-25-2013, 12:00 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Barrel Channel Laminate Stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by etisll40 View Post
If a barrel channel on a laminate stock is too wide as in when I replace the barrel, it already was bedded in Marine Tex, (getting a smaller barrel for hunting.) Can I just use more Marine Tex and use that too narrow the area that on the side of the barrel channel?

Unless it is excessave and looks bad leave it like it is.

If you just dont like it you can layer the barrel with tape or heat shrink to the desired thickness
for clearance and bed it with the Marine Tex or any good bedding compound. use the same care
and method you use for action bedding.

Try to match the Laminate if you can or just use a black die in the compound and it will look
good.

J E CUSTOM
Old 02-25-2013, 07:48 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Barrel Channel Laminate Stock

Thanks JE, I'll have to do some measuring once I figure out how much weight I want to save in the new barrel and then the look. The original bedding was with Marine Tex as I wrote. Getting a desired color with Marine Tex again is as simple as adding a die to the compound if needed for visual appeal? How about this thought, a carbon rapped barrel for the weight savings? Keeping the barrel channel as is? Are carbon barrels quite accurate and if so, who does them? Thanks