Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

bad experience with shillen

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2008, 05:42 PM
Platinum Member

Scott, on a few occasions I've wondered the same thing.

About a year ago, JE Custom and I went up to Ennis to visit their shop. We learned several things. 1, They had plenty of work. 2, Everybody knew what they were doing, except; 3, The guy on the contour lathe was hogging too much metal off on a single pass and the exteriors showed it. 4, They were gauging the bores like they say they do. 5, They do lap all stainless barrels by hand. 6, Every time they get in a new batch of barrel steel, it takes several trial barrels, and sometimes several days to get the dimensions and tolerances exactly like they want them, and they don't quit until they get what they want. 7, Ed Shilen was there the day that we were. 8, David Robinson is an excellent contact for questions (or tours).

To date, my most accurate rifles have #7 Shilen Select Match barrels. From .031" to .091" groups, including 2 big boomers.

If they had a barrel I needed, I have used a Shilen. If they didn't, I would probably order a Lilja. If Lilja says 8 weeks, you can stand out front and watch for the truck. Shilen may or may not deliver on time.

I've never ordered a pre-chambered barrel from them, but when I had a delivery slip, I called David to find out what was going on.

AJ, What is happening to you is not good business, but you will get a good barrel out of it. Meantime, they need to give you a straight answer.

Good shooting, Tom

A big fast bullet will beat a little fast bullet every time

Last edited by specweldtom; 08-20-2008 at 05:16 PM. Reason: spelling