Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Back Spindle Spider

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2013, 07:11 PM
Gold Member

Re: Back Spindle Spider

spider will do same thing what spindle nut does, it will firmley push up against pulley.
Old 07-29-2013, 10:17 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortgrass View Post
And 'loads' the spindle bearing and keeps the spindle from falling out, on to the ways.
if you put pressure on the nut, it increases the load on the bearing pack in the spindle line. This causes the bearings to develop an irregular wear pattern that can never be overcame again. Plus they run way too hot, and are gone in no time. I had a tool maker do something similar with an Okuma Kadet. Bearings were gone in three days. Pay me now, or pay me later<g>!
gary
Old 07-29-2013, 11:30 PM
Gold Member

Gary, thanks for the warning Okuma Kadet you say, hmm I remember one nice little cnc lathe, I meant low profile no comparison to Daewoo Puma model 8 I deal once...

So Gary, why would you say 8620 steel, is that almost like inconel? To be honest I don't know what steel I'm using, its low carbon and probably leaded, it soft and cuts like butter Maybe oil hardening tool steel can make better choice?

Anyway after considering my options I made few changes to the spider and I added slots for spanner wrench and I'll be using one of the spindle nuts and the second one will be replaced by spider.

Old 07-30-2013, 07:08 AM
SPONSOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trickymissfit View Post
if you put pressure on the nut, it increases the load on the bearing pack in the spindle line. This causes the bearings to develop an irregular wear pattern that can never be overcame again. Plus they run way too hot, and are gone in no time. I had a tool maker do something similar with an Okuma Kadet. Bearings were gone in three days. Pay me now, or pay me later<g>!
gary
Ok,, so maybe 'load' wan't the correct word. My point being, the nut is there to do more than "hold the pully on". Any bearing, adjusted on the 'loose' side, will chatter like a swarm of bees,,,, too tightly and they' ll fry. Same result either way,,,, premature failure.
Old 07-30-2013, 10:14 AM
Gold Member

It sounds no matter what I do the result would be imminent failure. Searching web I found this article about this guy with a same lathe and he build spider for it, I should of search web first, because he got all the plans and steps how to do it. My spider is much simpler but its same concept as his...

A Rear Spider-Nut for the Grizzly G0602 Lathe | Projects In Metal, LLC

Last edited by Jinx-); 07-30-2013 at 10:47 AM.
Old 07-30-2013, 11:28 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinx-) View Post
Gary, thanks for the warning Okuma Kadet you say, hmm I remember one nice little cnc lathe, I meant low profile no comparison to Daewoo Puma model 8 I deal once...

So Gary, why would you say 8620 steel, is that almost like inconel? To be honest I don't know what steel I'm using, its low carbon and probably leaded, it soft and cuts like butter Maybe oil hardening tool steel can make better choice?

Anyway after considering my options I made few changes to the spider and I added slots for spanner wrench and I'll be using one of the spindle nuts and the second one will be replaced by spider.

8620 is a mild hot roll steel. Machines much better than CRS. If memory is right it has a little sulphur in it to aid in machining. Downside like cold roll steel is that it will not harden without carbon being injected into the surface of the metal. yet 8620 is not gummy to machine like CRS. 70% of my mild steel machine work was done with 8620, as it was just that good.
gary
Old 07-30-2013, 11:47 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinx-) View Post
It sounds no matter what I do the result would be imminent failure. Searching web I found this article about this guy with a same lathe and he build spider for it, I should of search web first, because he got all the plans and steps how to do it. My spider is much simpler but its same concept as his...

A Rear Spider-Nut for the Grizzly G0602 Lathe | Projects In Metal, LLC

Use what you have now. You can always modify it latter to suite your needs.

J E CUSTOM