Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Back Spindle Spider

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2013, 11:21 AM
Gold Member

Re: Back Spindle Spider

Trickymissfit, I already started this project using plain 1020, so why would you say chrom-moly-nickel would be better choise? Also I did cut ID threads, it was exactly what I had measured and its perfect fit.
Minor Dia Pitch Dia Major Dia Tap Drill
Class min. max. min. max. min. max.
M39x1.5 6 H 37.376 37.676 38.026 38.226 39 39.417 37.5

Just hate to start allover when I'm almost done...
Old 07-29-2013, 11:23 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post
You need to invest in one or a couple Valenite or OSG indexable insert boring bars. Much better, more rigid and you can the insert after indexing it numerous times plus you can spec them with through the bar cooling that puts coolant and lubricant at the cutting point.

Those throw away brazed carbide bars are fine for small jobs, one time and the carbide grade is questionable because they are made...over there.

From the looks of the chatter, bet it was singing.....

But then. we don't know what kind of toolpost you have. The indexable tooling likes an extremely rigid and repeatable toolpost like an Aloris or Dorian wedge lock.

Always things to consider. You'll need an indexable bar to cut the internal threads anyway unless you are an expert grinder at grinding a throwaway bar to the correct
thread form.
another good source for quality boring bars is to find a machine tool reseller. They will often have tons of Warner Swasey bars just gathering dust in all sorts of sizes. Whatever kind of steel they use doesn't seem to have much if any harmonics
gary
Old 07-29-2013, 11:55 AM
Gold Member

Here's what this machine is made of and why I can't simply replace spindle nut with spider? It seems its just to keep pulley in place

Old 07-29-2013, 12:17 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trickymissfit View Post
when did Hardingh quit building that great little lathe? The only lathe I ever saw that would hang with a Monarch EE. They picked that auto back off up from Monarch, and who knows who Monarch stole it from!

Half nuts; I hate them! But we gotta live with them. Leaving the nut engaged all the time will also give you a better thread form anyway, so go with it. By leaving the half nut engaged you will eliminate a lot of the lead error that is compounded by the dial alone. (I always use the same number everytime)
gary
Have no fear Gary, it's an oriental clone (checked the website)..lol
Old 07-29-2013, 01:08 PM
Gold Member

Trickymissfit, they quit building them after Hardinge lost its sole ownership to the board of directors and shareholders, somehow they decided its no longer needed... The machines they produce now no longer made in USA, they moved their production lines to China... However they still make some workholding here in US.

Last edited by Jinx-); 07-29-2013 at 03:41 PM.
Old 07-29-2013, 01:14 PM
Gold Member

Here's what I have so far and I think it might work...

Old 07-29-2013, 06:44 PM
SPONSOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinx-) View Post
Here's what this machine is made of and why I can't simply replace spindle nut with spider? It seems its just to keep pulley in place

And 'loads' the spindle bearing and keeps the spindle from falling out, on to the ways.