Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Back to basics: a near disaster

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2008, 09:39 AM
Bronze Member

I've seen this happen twice.

One day many years ago I walked into a gunstore in Calgary where a good friend worked .
Don showed me a Savage single shot 22/250 that the store had just purchased that day . He took that rifle from the rack and aimed it at a bank sign just across the road. Then he cycled the action and a live hand loaded 22/250 round flew out and hit the floor. We both looked at each other and didn't have to say aloud "F--K".

Another time I was called to the front of a store to check out two M70 Win hunting rifles in .243 and 30/06 for inspection and cleaning. The bolts were closed and locked. I cycled the bolts and both were chamber and magazine loaded with live rounds. His explanition was that the guns were useless unless ready to use so he left them loaded. He had three very young children with him at the time.......
The customer is "Not" always right. I was very polite when I told him what I thought of "that" idea but I'm sure it made no difference at all -an accident waiting to happen.

At that same store all firearms were displayed on the rack with the bolts open -actions opened and checked first thing on the rest of the guns before handing them to customers. Thank's Ari.

Glenn
Old 02-19-2008, 12:13 AM
Bronze Member

Sobering stories that we all should remember!

Plus, there is the story of the accidental discharge in the Fort Worth TX Cowtown Colliseum, where all of a sudden there were several law enforcement officials very interested in one fellow - I was on the other side of the hall, but I could see the red faces from my vantage point - one embarrassed as can be, and two others with much angrier dispositions. A tough lesson on gun safety, luckily no harm done other than chipped concrete floors....

EZ