Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

AR Fit is over... what next

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2009, 11:29 PM
Silver Member

Re: AR Fit is over... what next

Thanks to all the replied. I don't want to sound like a fence sitter but I can relate to all of the advice given here. I may look into a custom rifle. I've never had one (if you don't count my AR's and I don't). The funny thing is that I am picking up a 700 VTR in .308 for a hunting rifle (300 yards and under) tomorrow and as I was laying in bed thinking about that I thought "I ought to see if he can pick me up a Sendero in 7mm mag. Then I got up and checked this thread to see the answers to this post." I must be psychotic... psychic... something...
Old 10-28-2009, 09:23 AM
Silver Member

I figured I would stop by this thread and thank everyone for their replies. I ended up ordering a Sendero SF II in 7mm mag (the website didn't show that it was available in STW... bummer). I'm in Santa Barbara, CA and it has arrived back home in Texas. I'm going to loop through Yellowstone NP for a few days once I leave here so I won't get my hands on it for at least another week. I've got to start getting serious about optics...

Thanks for all of the advice
Old 11-23-2009, 09:26 AM
Silver Member

Well... I've had my Sendero for a couple of weeks. I've checked the distance to the lands, loaded some sighting in rounds, loaded some rounds to begin the process of finding the O.A.L. sweet spot, and gazed lovingly at it often ... but it's still a virgin Between working for a living (which allows me to make the purchases I want to and do my part for economic stimulus (groan) ), getting my VTR ready to go hunting, and waiting for freakin parts to come in (like scope mount) I haven't been able to shoot it. I'm anticipating that to happen later this week. Hopefully.

I did want to say one other thing-

Chad's advice-

Quote:
Best advise is to budget yourself for about $3500 bucks and then make a deal with a reputable gunmaker who understands accurate long winded bolt guns.
-considering everything that I've found out so far this is extremely good advice. $3,500.00 budget for a finely tuned rifle is pretty dang good if you ask me. Especially considering the cost of a Sendero right out of the box and the remaining work that it would require to bring it up to custom specs. Don't get me wrong, it's a nice rifle, probably one of the best made factory rifles that iIve ever bought but as I get into this more and more I can see why it's a good idea to buy a custom if you really want to get into LR shooting.

Also- Thanks for the Palma info... That is impressive shooting!