Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

AR-15 Question? Carrier Hangs?!?!?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2008, 12:41 PM
Silver Member

Location: I live in the outdoors, but ihave to stay in the Houston area so I can afford to live outdoors!
AR-15 Question? Carrier Hangs?!?!?

I have a 16" Hbar that about every 3rd to 5th shot the carrier will hold open, but not by the bolt catch. It is sticking in the receiver extention (aka buffer tube). I have tried a different tube, but it sticks just as it did before. Just to be sure, I have tried different mag and ammo brands.

I have had it hang a few times while pulling the carrier back with the charge handle too when it was new. I doubt I have 100 round though the gun and it seems a little better than it was during the first firing session.

I plan to shoot the upper on another lower and the lower on another upper to see if which part is causeing the problem, but it will be a bit before I can get to the range, so I thought I would ask here to see what you guys think.
Old 12-04-2008, 01:07 AM
Platinum Member

Re: AR-15 Question? Carrier Hangs?!?!?

Cap, be sure you have the correct buffer and spring for the 16" barrel. Sounds like the bolt/ carrier assembly is recoiling too far back into the buffer tube (or not far enough) or maybe is catching on the little detent pin that keeps the buffer and spring in the tube. Also, check that the cotter key that locks the firing pin in is a little below flush on both sides of the carrier.

The AR's can be finicky, but I haven't seen one do this, so am only guessing. If all else fails, a good mouse gun armorer can quickly diagnose it if they look at it.

Good luck, Tom

A big fast bullet will beat a little fast bullet every time

Last edited by specweldtom; 12-04-2008 at 01:10 AM.
Old 12-04-2008, 08:57 AM
Silver Member

Location: I live in the outdoors, but ihave to stay in the Houston area so I can afford to live outdoors!

Thanks Tom!

When I shot it the first few time I noticed the bolt/carrier catch would try to catch on the carrier not the bolt face...so I put in a shorter spring and that I had some heavy contact just inside the tube around the area of buffer retainer pin. I removed some metal from that area...but it still would hang...at least the bolt was now catching where it should...so I replaced the tube, but it still hangs from time to time.

I guess for right now...swapping lowers with one of my other AR's is going to be the easiest thing to do.
Old 12-09-2008, 04:57 PM
Silver Member

In case someone was wondering:

I found the problem...there is something wrong with the carrier. I swapped the bolt/carrier with two AR's the problem followed the carrier only.

Will be looking into that this week...