Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Apprenticeships?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2010, 12:44 PM
Silver Member

Re: Apprenticeships?

Competitors all are willing to pay top dollar to have a winning gunsmith work on thier gear.
If you do your oun work and compete with them and beat them they will line up waiting for your majic
Old 06-23-2010, 12:47 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairtrigger View Post
Competitors all are willing to pay top dollar to have a winning gunsmith work on thier gear.
If you do your oun work and compete with them and beat them they will line up waiting for your majic
Competitive archers are the same way. They will pay 100s of dollars for that extra point or extra x!
Old 06-23-2010, 02:13 PM
SPONSOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairtrigger View Post
Getting to that point(where they line up) is the work.
Old 06-23-2010, 02:17 PM
Silver Member

Ted you are 100% right about that. But every business is like that. It takes years to develop a established and loyal clientel! customer service, attention to detail and knowledge are the only things business men can offer anymore!
Old 06-23-2010, 05:43 PM
Platinum Member

japple as you said "customer service, attention to detail and knowledge"

While much of society shops price it is no wonder that in so many businesses customer service, attention to details/knowledge are a joke. Try getting customer service at Walmart, Home Depot...cheap yes and that's about it.

But, there is a part of society that doesn't shop price but service and quality first. So you are correct...deliver impeccable service, keep your word at all cost, deliver quality, pay attention to detail and you will eventually have a thriving business. Best of luck as you proceed.
Old 06-23-2010, 05:58 PM
Silver Member

Chas,

you hit the nail on the head. After working in a one owner local proshop for 4 years, what I have learned is that we cannot compete with a cabelas or bass pro shops etc on price. But expertise cannot be found for the most part in stores like that, nor can one on one service. People want to see the same face over and over again and know the person they are speaking with. When I went to work at the proshop it was a 90,000 dollar a year store (gross). I went to work there right after some new owners purchased it. We (the new owners and I changed everything! Added more expertise more product, shooting lessons, clinics and many other things. We charged more but offered much better service and skills to the store. As of right now that store (I left last october) is at 150,000 half way through the year.

There will always be the few that are price shopping above all else, but these are not the people that go to gunsmiths or frequent proshopsof anykind. Integrity and honesty, attention to detail, and knowledge are what keep local business (especially in the sporting good industry) alive.
Old 06-23-2010, 06:12 PM
SPONSOR

Yep,,, thats the only way I know how to do it. But back to OP,,, Getting the best training you can goes hand in hand with the principles that have been outlined. If I go to a business and the service & knowlege of the product sucks or sounds like BS, I probobly won't return. If a business like you described is your plan, I don't think I'd learn a little bit from this 'smith and some from that book, I'd get some 'real' training. But on the other hand, you'll be too busy running the business to do much 'smithing, there are only 24 hours in a day.

Last edited by shortgrass; 06-23-2010 at 07:02 PM.