Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Apprenticeships?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2010, 09:26 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Apprenticeships?

Not trying to discourage you, but why would a good gunsmith teach you his skills and create more competition for himself.
I think this is something you will have to learn on your own, or take some classes at a tech school.
Old 06-23-2010, 07:51 AM
SPONSOR

Seems in any industry there's always room for someone who does above average work.
Old 06-23-2010, 09:45 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortgrass View Post
Seems in any industry there's always room for someone who does above average work.
+1 There is all ways room for a quality gunsmith !!!!!

If You have access to a gun smith that is close just go and ask him if he needs good cheep help
on occasion and that you want to learn . There is a lot of grunt work that needs to be learned
and it is a good way to get in the door.

Next would be to start a good on line school or go to one if available.

If none of this is a option then start by reading as much about gunsmithing and purchase some
good books and start slowly on your own.

Start with testing, cleaning,and accurizing factory rifles.(Bedding and floating,cleaning,loading
ammo and things that require no machining) and as you improve then start by buying a good
Lathe and basic tooling and learning how to use it.

This all takes time and you will get better as long as you try for perfection each time.(You may
not get it but you have to try if you intend to improve.

Everyone had to start somewhere .

J E CUSTOM
Old 06-23-2010, 10:17 AM
Silver Member

Thanks guys! Appreciate the input! After doing alot of research I have been in contact with an instructor at Trinidad CO. This seems like it could be a very good school. The problem I had with school is that I didnt want to move my family for a school that isnt worth it. I think this one may be worth it, so I am exploring and seeing where it goes. Any input you guys have about this school would be appreciated as well.

John
Old 06-23-2010, 11:07 AM
Silver Member

As far as apprenticeships again.
The gunsmiths that I know are secure enough in their abilities that they are flattered when I ask questions or want to observe
Old 06-23-2010, 11:43 AM
SPONSOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by japple View Post
Thanks guys! Appreciate the input! After doing alot of research I have been in contact with an instructor at Trinidad CO. This seems like it could be a very good school. The problem I had with school is that I didnt want to move my family for a school that isnt worth it. I think this one may be worth it, so I am exploring and seeing where it goes. Any input you guys have about this school would be appreciated as well.

John
Trinadad State Junior College has one of the 'first class' gunsmithing programs going. Consider the NRA week or two week class/seminars held in the spring and summer at some of the schools where a 2 year program is taught. I do some repairs but not many any more. (I work mainly with quality made side by side shotguns and accurate rifles, now) Used to be I'd see pleanty of guns someone practiced on or tried to learn themselves with. Folks make alot of junk out of some firearms that would be worth fixing or customizing. There's no substitute for having some show you the right way or an easier way to do any job. As for 'being worth it', yes, if knowledge is your goal. If you've kept up with any of Chad Dixons'(long rifles,llc) posts, he's mentioned more than once that it's 'a tough business', and I'll agree with that statement. Takes along time (took me along time anyway) to develop that 'good ' client base that makes it worth while to be in business. Not trying to sound discouraging by any means here. Check out some of the other schools, too. They all have sound programs and teach the basics. Each usually has a'speciality' or two different than the others. (I graduated from Montgomery Community College in '93, went there because of the 'stock making' program) Takes quit a few dollars to start up a shop after going to school. I met up with a young man almost a year ago that had graduated from Murry State at Tishomingo, Oklahoma. He couldn't find a gunsmithing job worth while locally and couldn't afford to just open a shop of his own. He is now in Kiwait working for the govmet there rebuilding weapons for their military so he can finance his own shop later.

Last edited by shortgrass; 06-23-2010 at 12:04 PM.
Old 06-23-2010, 12:29 PM
Silver Member

My goals for this is to open up a Archery and Gunsmithing shop for competitive shooters! I allready have the knowledge base for Archery since I have worked in stores and shot sompetitively for 15 years now. But I don't have the knowledge base for the second part of this endeavor. Also with the machining skills I can gain from the gunsmithing education I can improve and make better tools for the archery industry. I have a business plan setup and have half of the knowledge I need. I just need the gunsmithing knowledge now.