Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Anyone ever thought of this?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2010, 09:08 AM
Platinum Member

Anyone ever thought of this?

I have a Tikka T3 I absolutly have the floating recoil lug. It seems rediculous to me. I know I can have it pillar bedded and resolve my issues probably but I had an idea. What if I had the barrel spun on a lathe a little so that I could put a sako or remington recoil lug put on it? Then was thinking will a tikka action fit in a Sako a7 stock? if not I could just go custom. What do you tinkerers think about that?

Get a JOB! I already feed the bears, I dont need to feed you too!

" Real elk guns start with the number 3 or bigger and blow two holes, one in and one out." - My Dad
Old 03-14-2010, 09:31 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Anyone ever thought of this?

If it were me doing the tinkering and I'm a tinkeritus addict!

Thinking through it a bit, the amount taken off of the barrel would have to exactly match recoil lug thickness to keep from having to tinker w/head space.....

But what if the markings on the barrel don't line up as with before the recoil lug insertion? That would drive me nuts.......

Head spacing should be done with a reamer from the chamber end not as with a savage...... Otherwise it turn, space, turn space, turn space until one ends up with too little head space then ya have to go to the reamer anyway......

It would most probably be an unknown path that is being taken with only hoped for results. When I take that path the project usually ends up in the trash bin.

I know nothing about the Tikka, the floating recoil lug, or if the face of the receiver will need to be trued also. But I do know a lot about tinkerin'.

I really don't think it would be worth the effort and expense unless your rifle shoots like a shotgun.

But hey, if you really want it done send it this way and I'll give it a go. I just did my first real project on my ancient once through a shop fire Chinese mill! I cut a groove across a scope base just yesterday to fit a Tasco Red Dot sight on a 10/22.

I'm now ready for the next project w/my brand new Harbor Freight Mini Lathe. I think with a proper size mallet I can get the barrel shank into the spindle and this sounds like a good one.
Old 03-14-2010, 11:29 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkamike View Post
I have a Tikka T3 I absolutly have the floating recoil lug. It seems rediculous to me. I know I can have it pillar bedded and resolve my issues probably but I had an idea. What if I had the barrel spun on a lathe a little so that I could put a sako or remington recoil lug put on it? Then was thinking will a tikka action fit in a Sako a7 stock? if not I could just go custom. What do you tinkerers think about that?
Mike,

Curious, what issues you are having with the Tikka?

Steve
Old 03-14-2010, 12:41 PM
Platinum Member

I am not really having problems. The gon shoots OK I want to improve it though. I can only get about 3/4 to 1 inch 5 shot groups at 100yards. It will shoot a 1 " at 300 too But I know it could shoot better So I am just brainstorming on how to make it a better rifle.

" Real elk guns start with the number 3 or bigger and blow two holes, one in and one out." - My Dad
Old 03-14-2010, 12:54 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkamike View Post
I am not really having problems. The gon shoots OK I want to improve it though. I can only get about 3/4 to 1 inch 5 shot groups at 100yards. It will shoot a 1 " at 300 too But I know it could shoot better So I am just brainstorming on how to make it a better rifle.

1" @ 300yrds should have you a long range rifle as far as you can keep enough energy to do the trick. That is 1/3 moa, a fair amount better than most all custom rifles will guarantee. But tinkeritus is a tough thing to get away from.

Good luck, I hope is works out.

Steve
Old 03-14-2010, 12:58 PM
Gold Member

I've built a few different Sako actions that use an "unconventional" method of registering the recoil lug. It made bedding a challenge so I've done away with them and squished a lug between the barrel/receiver ring exactly the way your describing.

They've all shot well so it can't be hurting anything.

Giver hell!
Old 03-14-2010, 01:08 PM
Platinum Member

I am quite happy with 1inch @300 its the 1 inch @ 100 that bugs me.I can impress people with it till I shoot 100 yards then i blend in with the rest..very aggravating.