Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Anyone ever had a scope turn purple, just sitting in the box??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2012, 11:28 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Anyone ever had a scope turn purple, just sitting in the box??

Your Missus uses some strong detergent........

The tube and parts are anodized which basically is controlled rusting (oxidation of a non-ferrous surface)through electrolysis with the addition on a colorant to give the desired color, in a nutshell.

BTW Parkerizing is basically the same on a ferrous surface through the use of mineral salts and elevated temperature, no electrolysis.

Had to be something in the green Tee shirt or in the closet that removed the color.
Old 09-02-2012, 11:50 PM
Platinum Member

Mornin Shane
Still kickin, already trying to fill tags with the stick and string.
You must have had a busy summer? Been a while since we've heard from ya.

Have your purple products gotten more purple over the years?

Nope, They are the same today as they where 10-20 years ago when I bought them in seperate transactions.
The purple scope actually looked good on the purple action Unfortunatly a fine x haired 12x proved to be poor choice for a walkabout 7mag
Old 09-03-2012, 02:36 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBruce View Post
I am not familiar with the term smick, but it sure does look unique, all purple except the black knobs and the black "caps" on both ends. Perhaps, maybe I'll just keep it as is, it does add some caracter. They'd probably have to totaly dissassemble the scope and re-blue the tube to fix it (just assuming here).

No other chemicals in the closet at all. I have (had) other scopes in that closet. A couple other Nightforces', a few Leupolds, and a couple of Huskemaws; but this one is the only one that has changed color.

The color change is really quite distinct. The photo doesn't do it justice. It's almost a chamelion thing, different lighting makes the purple brighter or darker, depending.
I am also not sure what smick really means but it was used in the Army to describe something nice . I always thought it stood for - So -Mother Fu*king Wicked but I could be wrong .
Old 09-03-2012, 07:58 AM
Platinum Member

Just had a thought. Supposing there were some gasses leaking off the CR2032 battery.....?? The battery was installed/not removed, as it probably should have been. Granted, my other NF scopes all have the batteries installed too, but they're not wrapped in a T-shirt.

Just wondering, what do you all think. Would battery fumes (that couldn't escape to the air immediately) discolor the anodized finish maybe??

Cliff,

Yea it's been a busy summer.
Busier than I'd like to be, but gotta make hay when the sun shines. If oil prices drop down below $80/barrel for too long, I'll have alot of time off.

Old 09-09-2012, 06:29 PM
Platinum Member

I have a purple Leupold scope and a few purple Kimber Rifles.
Old 09-09-2012, 06:58 PM
Bronze Member

yep i have a purple leupold scope from way back that is purple. never makes a difference in how the thing holds perfect zero though
Old 09-10-2012, 02:50 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBruce View Post
Just had a thought. Supposing there were some gasses leaking off the CR2032 battery.....?? The battery was installed/not removed, as it probably should have been. Granted, my other NF scopes all have the batteries installed too, but they're not wrapped in a T-shirt.

Just wondering, what do you all think. Would battery fumes (that couldn't escape to the air immediately) discolor the anodized finish maybe??

Cliff,

Yea it's been a busy summer.
Busier than I'd like to be, but gotta make hay when the sun shines. If oil prices drop down below $80/barrel for too long, I'll have alot of time off.
If the battery was not leaking I can't see that it would leak any gas .
Anodising is a dyeing process and you can anodise with food and clothing type dyes to some degree of success. So maybe the dyes in the T shirt have somehow contaminated the anodised surface .
Anodised surfaces are usually sealed after dyeing so maybe the scopes surface has not been sealed properly .