Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Anyone ever had a scope turn purple, just sitting in the box??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2012, 07:56 PM
Platinum Member

Anyone ever had a scope turn purple, just sitting in the box??

Strangest thing!

I've got a Nightforce compact NXS 2.5-10X32. Pretty much brand new; mounted once, sent back to nightforce for an issue with the eyepiece coming loose, got it back and wrapped it in a green cotton T shirt for protection, and put it in the closet till I could get around to mounting it on a permanent home...........just looked at it today and the damn thing has turned purple......everywhere except where the lens covers were at.....it's still black underneath where they were!!

Gun cleaning solvent didn't budge it at all, possibly some sort of chemical etching........maybe a reaction to the green cotton shirt.??

Looks like it may be headed back to Nightforce for a second trip.
You can see on the objective bell how the color goes from purple to black where the lens cap was, then to a darker black where the metal changes.................Weird, just damn weird!

I must have some of the worst luck sometimes.
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
Anyone ever had a scope turn purple, just sitting in the box??-photo012.jpg  

Old 09-02-2012, 08:08 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Anyone ever had a scope turn purple, just sitting in the box??

I think it would look good if you mounted it on a pink gun.

I'm 16
"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
~George Washington

"The only advantage a light rifle has is weight, all other advantages go to the heavy rifle."
~ JE Custom

Biggest fail of 2014 so far... http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...ea-ftf-128972/

My guess on W3P .308 230 Grain Bullet: G1 .740-.755
Old 09-02-2012, 09:13 PM
Platinum Member

Cant help you with what does it but have one Leupold 12x (just the main tube) and a Ruger tang action that are that color.
Both my purple products where purchased at a discount years ago and have not blued with age, not a problem if you keep it.
Old 09-02-2012, 09:49 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MachV View Post
Cant help you with what does it but have one Leupold 12x (just the main tube) and a Ruger tang action that are that color.
Both my purple products where purchased at a discount years ago and have not blued with age, not a problem if you keep it.
Well howdy Cliff! How ya been?

Have your purple products gotten more purple over the years?

Old 09-02-2012, 10:04 PM
Gold Member

That is weird . If that T shirt was made in China God only knows what chemicals are present .
So my advice is wrap a bit of the shirt around the black parts and get them to go purple also as I like the color it looks smick.
Might be worth looking at what other chemicals may be in your closet .
The best thing to store a scope in is the box it came in .
So if you send it back don't tell them about the T shirt . Say it was stored in the original box.
Old 09-02-2012, 11:16 PM
Platinum Member

Yes hello nightforce, yea my scope turned purple.........WTF!

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"
http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...4-build-83765/ - Build Thread
http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...-284-a-124876/ - Gun Pictures/Ongoing Shooting Thread
Old 09-02-2012, 11:19 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullet bumper View Post
That is weird . If that T shirt was made in China God only knows what chemicals are present .
So my advice is wrap a bit of the shirt around the black parts and get them to go purple also as I like the color it looks smick.
Might be worth looking at what other chemicals may be in your closet .
The best thing to store a scope in is the box it came in .
So if you send it back don't tell them about the T shirt . Say it was stored in the original box.
I am not familiar with the term smick, but it sure does look unique, all purple except the black knobs and the black "caps" on both ends. Perhaps, maybe I'll just keep it as is, it does add some caracter. They'd probably have to totaly dissassemble the scope and re-blue the tube to fix it (just assuming here).

No other chemicals in the closet at all. I have (had) other scopes in that closet. A couple other Nightforces', a few Leupolds, and a couple of Huskemaws; but this one is the only one that has changed color.

The color change is really quite distinct. The photo doesn't do it justice. It's almost a chamelion thing, different lighting makes the purple brighter or darker, depending.