Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

any fans of the 22-6mm?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2013, 12:28 AM

any fans of the 22-6mm?

Hi folks , I was wondering if anyone here is a fan of the 22/6mm. I'm considering it for my first attempt at cobbling together a bolt action rifle. I don't know when I'll get started on the project, trying to read up and tool up for it is time consuming. I'm in the process of reading "The Complete Illustrated Guide to Precision Rifle Barrel Fitting" by John Hinnant. It has answered many of the questions left in my mind from reading bits and pieces of the process on the internet. Any comments on this wildcat would be appreciated. Thinking of the Hornady 80 Gr. v-max and a 1 in 9 twist.
Thanks, oscer
Old 02-07-2013, 09:16 AM
Platinum Member

Re: any fans of the 22-6mm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscer View Post
Hi folks , I was wondering if anyone here is a fan of the 22/6mm. I'm considering it for my first attempt at cobbling together a bolt action rifle. I don't know when I'll get started on the project, trying to read up and tool up for it is time consuming. I'm in the process of reading "The Complete Illustrated Guide to Precision Rifle Barrel Fitting" by John Hinnant. It has answered many of the questions left in my mind from reading bits and pieces of the process on the internet. Any comments on this wildcat would be appreciated. Thinking of the Hornady 80 Gr. v-max and a 1 in 9 twist.
Thanks, oscer
There is a guy at Hornady that helped develop the 22/6mm Also called the "Texas trophy Hunter"
Maybe someone can remember his name. I think it is Lonnie Hummel (Probably not spelled correct).

He loaded and shot it a lot and could be lots of help to you. PT&G should have the reamer or could
make one for you. I would recomend that you use a standard 6mm head space gauge so
loading/sizing would be straight forward using the 6mm cases.

There should be dies for it and there is load data so you should not have any trouble loading.

Not a lot of help but maybe it will help.

J E CUSTOM
Old 02-07-2013, 11:40 AM

Thanks for responding JE, I saw a reamer on Dave Manson's site but it was 22/.244 Ack Imp. It's not the way I want to go though I agree with your advise to stick with the 6mm Rem. go gauge. I'll check out PT&G.
Old 02-07-2013, 12:08 PM
Platinum Member

I haven't any direct experience with the 22/6mm, but would like to ask why 1:9. It seems 1:8 is becoming more common, and even some 1:7 for the heavier Bergers. I'm not saying 1:9 is a problem, just curious how you came to that decision. It will be interesting to see your results down the road. Thanks
Old 02-07-2013, 01:15 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HARPERC View Post
It will be interesting to see your results down the road. Thanks

+1

Just a comment on this Question.

The 223s need a 1 in 7 or 1 in 8 twist due to the velocity with the bigger bullets.

The 22/6mm is faster than the 22/250 and they normally work best with a 1 in 12 or 1 in 14 twist.

The 223velocity is way down from the 22/250 (It can push the 75 grain 2910 ft/sec and needs
the 1 in 8 twist). some have made the 1 in 7 twist work for them and others have not. That tells
me that a 1 in 7 is marginal.

The 22/6mm pushes the 80 grain bullet over 3500 ft/sec and a 1 in 9 or 1 in 10 should work good
In my opinion.

Also this is a good place for a 3 groove barrel in my opinion.

Just some comments.
Old 02-07-2013, 01:58 PM

Thanks fellas this is the kind of discussion I was trying to generate.

HARPERC, I read in the Hornady manual that their test rifle had a 1 in 9" twist and it says that the 1 in 10" twist would not stabilize the 80 gr. v-max.

J E, what your saying sounds logical, with more velocity the same twist would generate more rpm. There are probably formulas to find parameters but the varminters and especially the bench rest crowd probably have this already worked out.

I looked on TPG site and only saw reamer for the Ackley Improved version.
Old 02-07-2013, 04:02 PM
Platinum Member

Look up the culp and Greenhill formulas