Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Another bedding question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2011, 12:39 PM
Silver Member

Re: Another bedding question

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUDD View Post
It not in an HS stock but this is bedded by Montour county rifles. Even it it has a chassis I would still skim bed the action. This was for a BAT HR action which is a R700 clone.

Nice looking stock. Sure would support the action well.
Old 01-23-2011, 01:24 PM
Gold Member

This is my new rifle Kevin is building me as we speak. It shold be done in aout 2-3 weeks. It is almost a clone of anoter he built except for the action is a BAT. The last one he built was on a model 7 action and it shot awesome. That rifle shot bughole groups at 100 yards and it connected with groundhogs out to 1220 yards.

Without a doubt this one will shoot as good or better.
Old 01-24-2011, 03:40 AM
Silver Member

I always give the HS stock a full and proper bedding job. I use a rotary burr to remove some of the ali stock, then commence bedding.

The problem with a light shim of bedding compound is that the fine layer lacks strength and consistency (regardless of brand). In most cases, the job also ends up sitting too high and the whole job has to be done all over again.

If you try to go even further, adding a small blob of compound to the recoil lug area, the results can be unpredictable. The job can end up with pinch points or again, can end up to brittle.

Either do a full bedding job, or shape the ali to a perfect fit.

If you want to go minimalist, Araldyte (5min epoxy) the action to the ali block. To do this, prep the action with a release agent (even car wax will do), apply a small amount of epoxy to the bedding platform, fit the action, screw it in place and leave it. With this method, the rifle will be accurate but you cannot dissasemble the rifle for cleaning regularly. Each time you disassemble it, you will have to clean up the epoxy and start over.

Like I say, my preference is to do the job properly so that it lasts for many years. I don't have my HS stock in bits at the moment but the pic supplied is identical to how I go about the job (actually my wife did this bedding job, she is a pro with the M700's). I wrote a full bedding tutorial a while back and published it online. If you get a chance, have a read:

https://secure.zeald.com/ballisticst...und?mv_pc=6691

Hope that helps. Nathan.

Old 01-29-2011, 05:46 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WV Sendero View Post
I bedded all sides on my other rifles and they popped right out. With that said, if I try that again they may not. Other than getting it out of the stock is there any other reason not to do that? I hope I didn't screw up in doing that.

Thanks for the advice by the way, it's always good to hear other's thoughts/experiences.
I've always thought that the only surface that you want touching the lug is the back where it recoils against. I always clearance everything else......Rich
Old 01-30-2011, 12:07 AM
Silver Member

+1. The sides and front have to be relieved otherwise the rifle will double group and generally be finnicky, followed by the- my rifle doesn't like such and such a bullet or such and such a load and will only shoot one particular load based on the harmonics that load produces- frustrating.