Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Aluminum Sleeved Barrels

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2008, 08:16 PM
Silver Member

Aluminum Sleeved Barrels

I have been scheming on making an aluminum tension barrel similar to the ones used by several 10-22 barrel manufacturers. I have a magnum research 17mach 2 barrel and love it, however the costs of a center fire barrel with the same technology is absurd. MR makes what appears to be a nice carbon wrap barrel, they just have lousy twist rates and caliber selection. This leads me to scheming on how i could do it myself, I am a fairly competent glass worker ( I am partners in a wretched glass 44foot seiner) but i don't think i could pull of a wrap job.

I shot a buddies aluminum sleeved 22 and it shot on par with my solid stainless barres, which got me to thinking. Could this be done with a center fire? I feel confident in working with aluminum and the tension sleeve idea is something i think i could pull off. I have a few questions and would like the input of those of you (pretty much everybody) who know more than I.

1. Is there to much barrel warp when firing a center fire say a 6x284?

2. Will expansion and contraction in temperature be a fairly large problem on say a 20inch barrel?

3. Would electrolysis be an issue between the ss barrel and the aluminum sleeve?

4. Would it be better to do a tensioned barrel like a volquartsen or a pressed on sleeve like a tactical solutions?

I guess ill start with those four.
Old 11-30-2008, 11:59 PM
Gold Member

Re: Aluminum Sleeved Barrels

Not to sound like an idiot but what's your goal?

Were you planning a glue type sleeve? I saw a 1.250 barrel with a 3" AL sleeve on a bench gun but it was only like 22" long. To me tensioned barreled setups seem to make a little more sense than a sleeve but I still have no world records so.....
Old 12-01-2008, 02:06 PM
Silver Member

I was thinking of taking a straight taper barrel blank and turning it down after the first six inches and pressin on on an aluminum sleeve. Kinda like a volquartsen barrel. The idea would be to get increaded stiffness without increased weight.
Old 12-03-2008, 05:04 PM
Gold Member

I have thought about this in the past as others have. What might be the problem is the steel barrel will heat up pretty fast and the alum sleve will suck the heat from it, good thing yes. Bad thing will be the alum growing and contracting through out this process, how much i dont know.
If it were tensioned or not barrel movment may become an issue. It would be similar to a regular
barrel that was not stress relieved properly, they are not accurate. Im not saying it wouldnt work, i just havent seen any facts or research on it. I can see where it would work on 22lr type
rifles where heating would not be a big issue. I would check with a metalurgist and see what
the dynamics are of the alum in heat transfer and elongation. Its gonna get hot, carbon barrels get hot but the material is stable, metal is another story.

Best thing is to try it and do all the tests, then if it works you will have somthing to talk about.

Dave

"Let the good times roll"
Old 12-04-2008, 01:06 PM
Silver Member

Dave thanks for the response.

I think that the expansion and contraction would be problematic, I punched some specific heat numbers on the approximate alloy i have versus stainless, I don't think there would be any way to do a tensioned barrel without drastic tension changes.

I'm gonna have to inspect a tension barrel, I know the 22lr barrel of my buddies heats up considerably when we are ground squirrel hunting. I may have to find an alloy that does not expand and contract as bad.
Old 12-05-2008, 10:48 AM
Gold Member

Lothar Walther is offering this kind of aluminium sleeved barrels in some cartridges like 308 and I guess 260 and similar. I don´t know if they are still experimental but I´ve sen a couple of rifles made with them, not shot them though.

I spoke with Pete Lincoln from Roedale P. and initially they seem to shoot as well as an ordinary barrel. So it can be done.
Old 12-05-2008, 11:07 PM
Gold Member

maybe there is some hope for the project? What i was thinking was an alum sleeve glued into place with a tension cap on the muzzle end, maybe it needs to be installed with a snug fit and not to tight, or very tight to pull the barrel and keep it straight. Testing is the only way to acheive results.

Its better to try and fail, than to not try at all.

"Let the good times roll"