Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Aluminum Barrel Nut

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2013, 06:14 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Aluminum Barrel Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark View Post
I designed a lot of electronics for the military that always had "no dissimilar materials requirements

I think I know why the Rem 700 rifles I take the barrels off have goop in the threads. Rifles are right at the threshold of having the barrels fall off with simple receivers like a Rem700 or Save 110. That may mean tightening the threads or putting in Loctite.

The "GOOP" in The threads is not like Loctite, It is a sealer that prevents the bluing salts from
interring the threads during bluing and corroding the threads because they could not be removed.
Barrels and actions are blued at the same time (Together).

Most all stainless rifles don't have the sealer because there is no treatment that attacks the threads.

Also with 65+ foot/lbs + of torque they wont fall off so there is no need for Loctite. you would shoot
the barrel off before it fell off.

J E CUSTOM
Old 04-26-2013, 02:00 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J E Custom View Post
The "GOOP" in The threads is not like Loctite, It is a sealer that prevents the bluing salts from
interring the threads during bluing and corroding the threads because they could not be removed.
Barrels and actions are blued at the same time (Together).

Most all stainless rifles don't have the sealer because there is no treatment that attacks the threads.

J E CUSTOM
I have read the debates on the internet over "bluing salts vs Loctite" and cannot prove it either way.
I do have a Rem700 with original 1962 stainless barrel that had black goop on the threads, while I have a Rem700 with original 1964 Chrome Moly barrel that had white goop on the threads.

In the bible it says something about never knowing the true motivations of rulers.

But I enjoy the question.
This guy cracks me up when he says it smells like Loctite
loctite on barrel threads - Page 2
Old 04-26-2013, 04:04 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I have read the debates on the internet over "bluing salts vs Loctite" and cannot prove it either way.
I do have a Rem700 with original 1962 stainless barrel that had black goop on the threads, while I have a Rem700 with original 1964 Chrome Moly barrel that had white goop on the threads.

In the bible it says something about never knowing the true motivations of rulers.

But I enjoy the question.

Hey, Its a good debate anyway, right !!!!

As far as I know I have only encountered Loctite in the barrel threads once and It was a bitch to
remove the barrel. The owner had filled the scope base screw holes with it and it went into the blind hole over the threaded tenon. This was a stainless Rem 700 and had nothing in the threads to stop
it from getting in.

You could see where it came from and it had covered half the threads on the side opposite the thrust
side of the threads.

J E CUSTOM
Old 04-27-2013, 09:52 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:

I read the link you posted and some of the guys were spot on, others were so far out that it amazed me.
Scary to think that these guys are assembling rifles for others to shoot.

The one guy set head space with locktite. Unbelievable !!!!!

A good Smith can nail the head space with the proper bolt to tenon clearance and Proper barrel
torque. If locktite is used these tolerances are never accurate like they should be.

It was a very interesting read though. Thanks

J E CUSTOM
Old 05-01-2013, 01:55 AM

Because the nut is just a jam, can't it be flat? The sloping shoulder is really just there for aesthetics. It doesn't have to be very wide either.
Old 05-01-2013, 08:54 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbj View Post
Because the nut is just a jam, can't it be flat? The sloping shoulder is really just there for aesthetics. It doesn't have to be very wide either.
Also ergonomics.
So it won't snag a girl's nylon stockings.
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
Aluminum Barrel Nut-savage-barrel-nut-5-1-2013.jpg  
Old 05-04-2013, 02:01 PM
Silver Member

If you had any go-no go gauges it would be interesting to see what happens to the fit of an aluminum nut when heated up. Also if you went with an aluminum nut I would definitely get it anodized.