Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Aluminum Barrel Nut

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2013, 04:22 PM
Silver Member

Aluminum Barrel Nut

Has anyone tried an aluminum barrel nut before. I am wanting to build an ULTRA light .260 rem on a rem 700 SA.

Before anyone says, "There are a lot of other places to save weight." Let's just assume that I have taken those into account and OUNCES matter on this build.

Can anyone think of a reason that this will not work?

Old 04-16-2013, 06:55 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Aluminum Barrel Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneckclimbing View Post
Has anyone tried an aluminum barrel nut before. I am wanting to build an ULTRA light .260 rem on a rem 700 SA.

Before anyone says, "There are a lot of other places to save weight." Let's just assume that I have taken those into account and OUNCES matter on this build.

Can anyone think of a reason that this will not work?

There is no problem if it is the thread protector that replaces the muzzle break.

I would recommend the 7071 grade of aluminum for strength.

J E CUSTOM
Old 04-16-2013, 08:28 PM
Silver Member

You can always give it a try to see how it holds up. I would go with a smooth nut for strength and use a spanner wrench.
Old 04-17-2013, 01:29 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J E Custom View Post
There is no problem if it is the thread protector that replaces the muzzle break.

I would recommend the 7071 grade of aluminum for strength.

J E CUSTOM

J E-

It will be the barrel nut that holds the barrel in place. Do you see any problems with that? I was thinking the same as fas as material, 7071 T6 Al.
Old 04-17-2013, 05:34 PM
Silver Member

Since it only acts as a jam nut it should work, but it may not too. AR's use em' and although not the same design, it's essentially the same thing.
Old 04-17-2013, 11:12 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneckclimbing View Post
J E-

It will be the barrel nut that holds the barrel in place. Do you see any problems with that? I was thinking the same as fas as material, 7071 T6 Al.

I think I would use stainless or Chrome Moly for the barrel nut because of the thread strength and the same coefficient of expansion as the barrel and the action. (Heating and cooling could cause the
nut to loosen)

There are less critical areas to shed weight (Scopes weigh 1 and 1/2 to 3 pounds difference and would be a better place to save weight IMO.

Just my opinion. Better to be safe than sorry.

J E CUSTOM
Old 04-18-2013, 08:46 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J E Custom View Post
I think I would use stainless or Chrome Moly for the barrel nut because of the thread strength and the same coefficient of expansion as the barrel and the action. (Heating and cooling could cause the
nut to loosen)

There are less critical areas to shed weight (Scopes weigh 1 and 1/2 to 3 pounds difference and would be a better place to save weight IMO.

Just my opinion. Better to be safe than sorry.

J E CUSTOM
J E,

You are spot on but too soft in your words. It's flat a bad idea!

The temperature coefficient difference between barrel/action and nut is significant.

Why would one want to barrel nut a Rem action anyway? If a switch bbl setup is the goal, I see no problem with going nut less. The bbl doesn't have to be "that" tight. Use your personal definition of "that"...