Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Adjusting length of pull

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 11-20-2009, 09:47 AM
Silver Member
Adjusting length of pull

This question may have been answered already and if it has I apologize, but I did a search and couldn't find an answer. I would like to know some methods to increase the length of pull of a factory composite stock. Please help! I have to lengthen it about an inch.

Unread 11-25-2009, 10:11 PM
Bronze Member
Re: Adjusting length of pull

The construction inside the butt of the stock can dictate your options. A one inch spacer can be added between the pad and stock, but will need to be profiled. There are slipon-tie-on recoil pads that can add an inch or so. If you have no recoil pad currently you can replace the buttplate with a 1 1/4" recoil pad to add both length and recoil control. There are also adjustable buttplates to be installed but add significant costs.
Unread 12-01-2009, 08:45 PM
Gold Member

Here is a Rem 510 22RF single shot bolt we got for $50 at the gun show because someone cut a few inches off the stock.

We drilled and tapped for Weaver mounts.
It has shot .2 moa in a lucky 5 shot group, but averages 1 ~ 1.5 moa @50y.

So we tried to restore it.
We cut the butt square.
We glued on some Walnut to the butt.
We cut the new butt square.
We screwed on a butt plate.
We sanded down the junctions with a belt sander.
It got a coat of poly varnish.

It is not a foam core fiber glass laminate stock, but it is a good visual example of the precision possible with a power miter saw.

Here is a High Tech Specialties stock [Bansner]that has been cut to length with a power miter saw. It is being fitted for a wooden butt plug that will [when epoxied in place] accept the Limbsaver recoil pad mounting screws.
Brownells Search : Search Results for "high tech specialties" - World's Largest Supplier of Firearm Accessories, Gun Parts and Gunsmithing Tools
Unread 12-02-2009, 05:53 AM
Bronze Member

Just an idea, but have you considered trying a recoil pad? I know for some it has worked good. Food for thought.

Also, lengthening the LOP, to me anyway, seems not near as common as someone wanting to shorten it. I know with a few guns I had where the LOP was too long, I just trained myself to bring it to my shoulder different, then cheek weld and shoulder position. It worked.