Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Action screws backing out

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2008, 06:36 PM
Silver Member

Action screws backing out

My front action screw starts backing out after 10 shots or so. It is on a Weatherby Accumark in 30-378 with the stock stock. What kind of LocTite can I use and still be able to remove in the future?

This rifle has the internal aluminum frame inside the stock. The flat of the action sits on the flat of the aluminum frame. Would I see a big improvement in accuracy by bedding the action? Or would my time and money be better spent elsewhere?

Rocky
Old 02-03-2008, 12:37 AM
Gold Member

Bed the action

Usualy when screws back out it is because their is springing in the bedding bed the rifle and it should be fixed don't rely on loctite as it won't shoot anyway.

Cheers Bill
Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky_lange View Post
My front action screw starts backing out after 10 shots or so. It is on a Weatherby Accumark in 30-378 with the stock stock. What kind of LocTite can I use and still be able to remove in the future?

This rifle has the internal aluminum frame inside the stock. The flat of the action sits on the flat of the aluminum frame. Would I see a big improvement in accuracy by bedding the action? Or would my time and money be better spent elsewhere?

Rocky
Old 02-07-2008, 05:19 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky_lange View Post

Rocky
Yep, my 338-378 did the exact same thing but required less shots to be fired. Like Wild Bill said don't waste your time with loc-tite, get it skim beded. I had Fiftydriver fix mine up and I never had another issue with the screws coming loose, it even shot a whole lot better to boot, who would have thunk it.