Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Action Screw Torque????

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2011, 08:02 PM
Silver Member

Action Screw Torque????

I recently built a 22-250 Imp on a Remington 700 Action. I have worked up a few loads for the rifle and found a couple that shoot great.
I took it out last week and shot several groups under .5" most of the groups were ragged little holes, the best group was in the .1s.
I ordered a Holland trigger spring and took the gun out of the stock in order to put in the new spring for the trigger and bolt stop.
I placed the gun back in the stock and torqued the screws back down. (stock is bedded)
I do not have a torque wrench but I think I have a good "feel" for how much it needs to be tightened.
I loaded up a few rounds today and went to the range....Groups were aweful (1.5") with no real pattern to them..(left, right, high and low)

My question is...Could the difference in torque on the action screws be the culprit of my ****** day at the range?
All of my equipment is sold, form is solid enough for repeatability of groups. Reloading is solid.
Thanks
Old 01-08-2011, 08:16 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Action Screw Torque????

You'll probably get mixed reviews on this. Most people will say a good bedding job and it shouldn't matter on the torque, some will say 65 in lbs no matter what others will say tune loads with different torque settings.

I think if the bedding job is done right the groups shouldn't change much, but I've always had tinkeritas and like to play with torque settings from time to time.

Don't know if that helped much, your sure to get all kinds of advice though.

Nathan
Old 01-08-2011, 08:47 PM
Platinum Member

Action screws should be tightened to 35 inch pounds to 65 inch pounds depending on the rifle and
the service it is in.

If it has a good bedding it should not change much but if you first torque starting at 35 in/lbs
and go up in 5 in/lb increments until it shoots the most consistent.

Then each time you take it out of the stock, re torque at the same torque it should repeat.

When placing an action back in the stock always just snug it up and bump the butt on the floor
to help it find the best/original position and then torque to 1/2 the value and then to the final
original setting.

If it is bedded you should not torque as much as if it is pillar bedded.(The pillars will not
compress and can stand the full 65 in/lbs.

There are many post on torque so do a search and you will get plenty of info.

J E CUSTOM
Old 01-13-2011, 09:19 PM
Bronze Member

Had the same problem with a 22-250 , model 70, in a bell & carlson medalist stock. Was advised to : after putting in both screws, to snug the rear screw first then the front screw. then repeat tightening the rear first and then the front. around 30 lbs on a wood stock, around 60 on a aluminum bedded stock such as the medalist. inch/pounds. IT WORKED ! HOPE THIS HELPS. Got the info from stockys.com
Old 01-14-2011, 12:02 AM
Platinum Member

I was told by a very reputable gunsmith who is a sponsor on this site, that if the action is bedded properly, action screw torque doesn't do much and matters very little. They just need to be good and snug.??

Just what I heard. Is it possible could be something else? perhaps gun isn't fully seated back into the original bedding??

Just a thought,
Old 01-14-2011, 11:23 PM
Gold Member

Even with a good bedding job I still think you need at least 35 inch lbs. Many I own shoot good around 45 inch lbs.
Old 01-15-2011, 10:36 AM
Silver Member

45 in/lbs standing on the recoil pad. alternate between back and front, back first