Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Accurization ?????

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2011, 12:31 PM
SPONSOR

Re: Accurization ?????

I seriously doubt you'll find a competent 'smith that will put a Remington trigger w/bolt lock on a rifle that wasn't designed with the cut in the bolt for the 'lock'. Remington re-designed the trigger so the rifle could be unloaded with the safety on! Question, why is the bolt coming open by its self? Does the rifle have other 'problems'? Rule #2; lots of people ignore rule #1!

Last edited by shortgrass; 11-20-2011 at 02:44 PM.
Old 11-20-2011, 02:36 PM
Gold Member

Re: Accurization ?????

Quote:
Originally Posted by cva54 View Post
I got 2 remmy rifles one is a 721 with bolt lock and a 308 with out. Let me say this. Both are hunten rifles. I hate the bolt comming opened on the 308 it is going in for it! If you bring it to a competent gun smith and have it set up properly and maintenanced by him you should have on prob with a remmy triger. But yes there is a safty issue. What is rule #1 watch your muzzle

You say, "If you bring it to a competent gun smith and have it set up properly and maintenanced by him you should have on prob with a remmy triger." The point is that Model 700 rifles that have been professionally maintained have also failed unexpectedly and without warning. This has been documented numerous times & Remington has to date found it more profitable to continue on than to address the issue. Yes, the percentage chance of a given rifle failing are small, but who wants a rifle that might go off without the trigger being pulled? Not I.

I have had Model 700 rifles in the past & still have one in the safe. Luckily, none of mine went off without the trigger being pulled, but I think it's foolish at best to rely on luck when we know a design has this issue.

Thankfully I can now afford to hunt with quality weapons. This means I will not cary a Model 700 with a stock trigger, PERIOD.