Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Accuracy issue in BAR 7mm rem mag

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2014, 04:39 PM

Accuracy issue in BAR 7mm rem mag

New to LRH and I'm desperate for an answer to recent accuracy problems. I always read the posts from you guys or gals about different issues and I wish the knowledge could be bottled.

Here goes,

Details:

Browning-BAR 7mm rem magnum.

I've owned this gun for 20 years or so. At purchase and up until about a year ago this gun was extremely accurate. It has started to fly rounds even at close distance (50 yds). It is unpredictable. it will shoot a couple rounds close and then fly them away again. See the attached picture, that is 300yds with my best shooting factory ammo, federal premium, noslar partition SP, 160 grain, with a solid bench (lead sled). I've used many different factory loads with no success. This gun LOVED the FP 160's.

I can't associate the inaccuracy to a single event. I've had a couple of gunsmiths look at the gun (one said possible cleaning issue the other couldn't find anything) and recently sent it back to Browning arms. I only spoke to customer service and they advised my forearm needed to be refitted. I recently received The gun with a new forearm and stock. Took to the range and discovered it still has accuracy issues. It started out looking good but after 20 rounds I discovered a 5 1/2 inch group at 100 and the photo is 300 yds. I made sure the gun is clean and waited between shots. After a few shots, I noticed the flying so I let the barrel completely cool down, sometimes 10- 20 minutes between shots. I tried shooting closer shooting times and everything I could think of. I can't find the problem. The crown looks good. The picture says it all. You can see the two shots at the bottom. That's how this gun has performed.

I've dropped the gun off at a third gunsmith now and I guess I'm looking for expert advise. I'm in a place I don't like. I've had an extreme amount of confidence in this rifle but now it's definitely in question. I'm on the eve of a New Mexico elk hunt and just trying to find a way to bring this gun back. I usually shoot it 20 to 50 times a year.

Does anyone know any BAR secrets or can provide advice? Is it time to get a custom rifle?
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
Accuracy issue in BAR 7mm rem mag-photo-2-.jpg  

Last edited by Cbmiro; 08-15-2014 at 06:43 PM. Reason: mispelled words
Old 08-15-2014, 06:45 PM
Gold Member

Re: Accuracy issue in BAR 7mm rem mag

C, welcome to the forum. Check the crown for damage. Number of rounds fired and barrel cleaning can affect barrels. Perhaps you can find a smith with a bore-scope to look at the barrel, it could be worn or damaged. BAR's are high quality. If a rebarrel is in order, you would have the opportunity to improve performance. Good luck
Old 08-16-2014, 12:43 AM

Thanks Dosh. One of the smiths had one, I viewed, it showed some rust/corrosion and wear but not major. The crown has been checked by all three. I think you are right on, a new barrel may solve my issues and I'm considering this option.
Old 08-18-2014, 12:09 AM
Silver Member

I bought 3 BARs and took them to the range, a 300WM, and two 338WM.

They averaged 2 moa.
Old 08-23-2014, 09:07 PM
Bronze Member

Just my opinion, but there is no such thing as minor rust / corrosion in the bore of a rifle. If the bore scope showed any corrosion at all, I would get another barrel or a new rifle.

Good Luck
Old 08-24-2014, 01:40 AM
Platinum Member

20 years equals how many rounds?
Old 08-24-2014, 08:04 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HARPERC View Post
20 years equals how many rounds?
It doesn't seem to look too bad in the round count area ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbmiro View Post
I usually shoot it 20 to 50 times a year.
I'm interested on the 3rd gunsmith's findings and recommendations.

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.