Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

acceptable headspace growth for a 7stw???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2014, 01:44 AM
Gold Member

Re: acceptable headspace growth for a 7stw???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edd View Post
There is a base to shoulder datum spec for a 7mm STW chamber and other belted case chambers. For the STW the minimum is 2.4697" and the maximum is 2.4797". That is measured at a shoulder diameter of .420".
Read my post again, I made no mention of the CHAMBER datum, only the dimensions of the BRASS, which are NOT held to these or any other dimension, if they were, they would all measure the same from every manufacturer, which they DON'T.

Cheers.
Old 07-21-2014, 07:43 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnumManiac View Post
Read my post again, I made no mention of the CHAMBER datum, only the dimensions of the BRASS, which are NOT held to these or any other dimension, if they were, they would all measure the same from every manufacturer, which they DON'T.

Cheers.
There is a base to shoulder datum spec for 7mm STW cartridge and other belted cases. For the STW the minimum is 2.4538" and the maximum is 2.4608". That is measured at a shoulder diameter of .420".

So based on the SAAMI specs, the acceptable growth from unfired new cases would be between maximum of .0259" and a minimum of .0089". The .020" the OP had is within that range.
Old 07-23-2014, 10:51 AM
Platinum Member

http://www.saami.org/pubresources/cc...rner.pdf#page1