Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

??? about new Wby Vanguard sf 2 sub moa

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2011, 03:22 PM
Platinum Member

??? about new Wby Vanguard sf 2 sub moa

So... How does this thing stack up? Or should I look at the price tag & read into it no further?
I know the Wby vanguard/Howa 1500 is a stout action. I like the 9 locking luggs, but,
Just curious about things like changing out barrels later. Is there an aftermarket trigger available etc.
Thanks for the feedback.

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"

Old 08-27-2011, 03:52 PM
Platinum Member

Re: ??? about new Wby Vanguard sf 2 sub moa

Quote:
Originally Posted by winmag View Post
So... How does this thing stack up? Or should I look at the price tag & read into it no further?
I know the Wby vanguard/Howa 1500 is a stout action. I like the 9 locking luggs, but,
Just curious about things like changing out barrels later. Is there an aftermarket trigger available etc.
Thanks for the feedback.
The Vanguard has 2 lugs - you're thinking of the Mark V with 9 locking lugs.

The new S2 has a 2 stage trigger. I'd check it out and see if you like it before swapping one out. However, Timney and others make excellent replacements.

Changing barrels can be done, but there are tricks to it. It's not as easy as a Remington but not as difficult as a Browning.

Personally I'm waiting for the S2 in stainless, then plan on buying a basic one. I'll pitch the stock, bed the action to a new B&C Medalist and have a nicer rifle for less money than an official "Sub-MOA" model. FYI with the new S2 all of the rifles are guaranteed to shoot under 1 MOA however they will still have a model specifically called the "Sub-MOA".