Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

7mm STW - Stuck cases, at wits end

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2011, 03:20 PM
Bronze Member

Re: 7mm STW - Stuck cases, at wits end

Just a simple thought....I had the same problem, all cases stuck in a 6.5X284, WHEN I used HORNADY brass.....went to Norma and ZERO problems....the cases were growing too long and sticking my bolt. The Norma has, after 3 firings, began to grow the primer pockets (soft brass). No, the load is within specs. I am NOT even close to the gunsmith knowledge these other responders are, but it worked for me and Hornady and I are trying to resolve the issues I have with the brass.
Old 07-31-2011, 06:24 PM
Bronze Member

deleted
Old 08-01-2011, 09:23 AM
Bronze Member

"Did you remove the barrel to polish it? Did you try measuring the back of the chamber?"

We polished the chamber without removing the barrel. If the polish job doesn't fix the problem we are going to remove the barrel and make a cast of the chamber to take the measurements.

"I would size the cases one more time, and reload them with one grain less powder. That ring you are seeing is known as a pressure ring, and when you see it it's time to back off a bit. Also you need a better die than what you probably are using to resize the case down by the belt. Look for Larry Willis on the internet as he has the die needed to resize near the belt."

One of the things that's been so frustrating is that the stuck cases are so random. One day a starting load extracts just fine. The next day the same load will stick. A couple of weeks ago I had a nice conversation with Larry Willis about his sizing die and the problems we were having. We have checked the size of the brass after it's been partially full lengthed. It chambers great, no resistance at all.

"Just a simple thought....I had the same problem, all cases stuck in a 6.5X284, WHEN I used HORNADY brass.....went to Norma and ZERO problems....the cases were growing too long and sticking my bolt. The Norma has, after 3 firings, began to grow the primer pockets (soft brass). No, the load is within specs. I am NOT even close to the gunsmith knowledge these other responders are, but it worked for me and Hornady and I are trying to resolve the issues I have with the brass."

We've only got two choices in 7mm STW (that I know of), Nosler and Remington. We have tried both brands with the same results.

"i would get the head space checked out on the chamber. "

The head space has been checked, and re-checked, several times.

We haven't made it to the range since polishing the chamber. I'll let you all know how it goes later this week. I was going to post a picture of the two cases we fired last week after polishing the chamber but they have already been tumbled. So here is a picture of a nice mule deer buck we found this past weekend.

Last edited by One_Duck_Limit; 08-01-2011 at 09:25 AM. Reason: wrong picture
Old 08-01-2011, 10:37 AM
Bronze Member

Hopefully the chamber polishing will work for you....the Gunsmith did that for me as he thought possibly the problem, as your are....rechecked headspace also....fortunately/unfortunately, for me, it was the brass. This is why I mentioned it. Let us know.........
Old 08-01-2011, 11:32 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by One_Duck_Limit View Post
"Did you remove the barrel to polish it? Did you try measuring the back of the chamber?"

We polished the chamber without removing the barrel. If the polish job doesn't fix the problem we are going to remove the barrel and make a cast of the chamber to take the measurements.

"I would size the cases one more time, and reload them with one grain less powder. That ring you are seeing is known as a pressure ring, and when you see it it's time to back off a bit. Also you need a better die than what you probably are using to resize the case down by the belt. Look for Larry Willis on the internet as he has the die needed to resize near the belt."

One of the things that's been so frustrating is that the stuck cases are so random. One day a starting load extracts just fine. The next day the same load will stick. A couple of weeks ago I had a nice conversation with Larry Willis about his sizing die and the problems we were having. We have checked the size of the brass after it's been partially full lengthed. It chambers great, no resistance at all.

"Just a simple thought....I had the same problem, all cases stuck in a 6.5X284, WHEN I used HORNADY brass.....went to Norma and ZERO problems....the cases were growing too long and sticking my bolt. The Norma has, after 3 firings, began to grow the primer pockets (soft brass). No, the load is within specs. I am NOT even close to the gunsmith knowledge these other responders are, but it worked for me and Hornady and I are trying to resolve the issues I have with the brass."

We've only got two choices in 7mm STW (that I know of), Nosler and Remington. We have tried both brands with the same results.

"i would get the head space checked out on the chamber. "

The head space has been checked, and re-checked, several times.

We haven't made it to the range since polishing the chamber. I'll let you all know how it goes later this week. I was going to post a picture of the two cases we fired last week after polishing the chamber but they have already been tumbled. So here is a picture of a nice mule deer buck we found this past weekend.

when the chamber was cut, was it cut to head space off the belt or the shoulder? I've seen them done both ways on magnum cases. Also do you by chance know anybody that owns a bore scope? An inspection might be needed.
gary
Old 08-10-2011, 10:54 PM

I jut purchased a custom 7 STW from a guy and have the exact same problem. I am measuring 0.516 just in front of the belt as well. I am thinking this is the exact same problem that I have.

Is the best thing/easiest way to fix this to set the barrel back and re-ream? Is there any other options?

At first I thought it was my reloading but I bought some nosler factory ammo and it sticks even worse than what I do. I can not resize the cases after firing it expands so much.
Old 08-11-2011, 01:42 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEC559 View Post
I jut purchased a custom 7 STW from a guy and have the exact same problem. I am measuring 0.516 just in front of the belt as well. I am thinking this is the exact same problem that I have.

Is the best thing/easiest way to fix this to set the barrel back and re-ream? Is there any other options?

At first I thought it was my reloading but I bought some nosler factory ammo and it sticks even worse than what I do. I can not resize the cases after firing it expands so much.
keep in mind that a generic full length sizing die will not resize the case just ahead of the belt. The case has expanded due to high pressure, and you need a die that will size the lower part of the case. Check out the dies at Innovative Technologies; they will resize the case down there.
gary