Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

6.5x55 Bedding a McMillan A5

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2007, 07:20 AM
Silver Member

6.5x55 Bedding a McMillan A5

I have just ordered my new McMillan A5 stock to fit my Sako 75 in 6.5 and I have been told it [the action] should just drop right in and I'm good to go.

What do you guys reckon, should I have it bedded and if so what bedding do you recommend? (You can probably guess I don'y know much about bedding) I am not being disrespectful to the guy or his advice, I just want this to be as good or better than what it shoots with its original factory stock currently .4 MoA @100yds.

I am sooooo excited the wait is gonna kill me. I will of course post pics of my new baby when its all set up.

Old 09-17-2007, 09:09 AM
Platinum Member

I would recommend bedding any rifles even the ones with the aluminum bedding blocks as their is no way they can make a inlet that will fit as well as having it bedding.

As for the bedding compound I personaly use Devcon Plastic steel putty , it works very well and is as stabil as Brownells Steel Bed which is the best I've tested.
Old 09-17-2007, 07:59 PM
Silver Member

i have bedded 3 stocks that has aluminum bedding blocks and they have all shot better!! i dont even shoot them any more without first bedding them

JIM
Old 09-17-2007, 09:51 PM
Platinum Member

I would have it bedded.

Also, you are going to be waiting a long time for that A-5 stock. It took 25 weeks for mine to be delivered. The next time I need an A-5 stock, I am going to have Joel Russo make one of his A-5 replicas. They look exactly like the McMillan A-5 and perform really well from what I have Heard. I think the completion time is right around 5 weeks. Also, he is a great guy to deal with.

Good luck with your new rig, it's always fun to have a new project. I can't wait for my new toy.

Wildcat
Old 09-18-2007, 06:47 AM
Silver Member

Thanks guys I thought as much but needed to check with you as you all have far superior knowledge on the subject than I.

Wildcat, I know I have been told the leadtime is long and to expect it around Feb/March next year. Dissappointing I know and hard to deal with but I just hope its worth it.

I was considering getting another for my Rem 700 in .223 (my varmint baby) but you mention Joel Russo does a replica which is Very Very interesting, especially if they work out cheaper, the added bonus is of course a shorter leadtime.

How do I get to know more about Joel and his products? I would appreciate it if you would point me in the right direction, being over the pond I have never heard of him and if you say he is a good guy to deal with, thats good enough for me.

Thanks
Old 09-18-2007, 09:06 AM
Platinum Member

Joels stocks are great they are the same dementions as the A-5 and can be had is several differant colors which finish out realy nice. The stocks are around half the price as the McMillan depending on what extras you have and the wait is WAY shorter. Joel is a great guy to deal with and his customer service is top notch as well. The stocks do require a little final finishing and a coating of what every sort you want but its not that bad at all , the last one I did I finished with a rattle can poly finish (polycrylic I think) and had realy good results

The only way I would get another composite rather than one of Joels laminates is if I knew I were gonna abuse the hell out of it.
Old 09-18-2007, 09:51 AM
Silver Member

I own one---

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeskethPritchard View Post
Thanks guys I thought as much but needed to check with you as you all have far superior knowledge on the subject than I.

Wildcat, I know I have been told the leadtime is long and to expect it around Feb/March next year. Dissappointing I know and hard to deal with but I just hope its worth it.

I was considering getting another for my Rem 700 in .223 (my varmint baby) but you mention Joel Russo does a replica which is Very Very interesting, especially if they work out cheaper, the added bonus is of course a shorter leadtime.

How do I get to know more about Joel and his products? I would appreciate it if you would point me in the right direction, being over the pond I have never heard of him and if you say he is a good guy to deal with, thats good enough for me.

Thanks
and it is a very high quality item from a good guy with quick delivery. Contact Joel at <jkrussos@comcast.net> tell him Graham suggested his product. You get to pick the wood colors for great laminated stock with a great fit. Overbore