Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

6.5 WSM help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2007, 07:14 PM

6.5 WSM help

I am looking for some help on building a 6.5 WSM for a long range hunting rifle. Max yardage of 750+- is my limit. I want a rifle that is packable for the day. I am 6'4" and 230, so 8.5 to 9lb with scope is good. What action, barrels, and stocks would be best? What twist rate with 130 to 160 range of bullets? I am thinking 27" barrel, not to heavy but still realize the excellent velocity potential, and downrange performance of this round. Thanks for the help guys, your opinions are certainly respected!
Old 08-31-2007, 07:44 PM
Platinum Member

I think the 6.5 wsm would be an awesome round -good brass easy to neck down one size etc..

Personally i'd just pick out the componenets that would give me a good shooting longrange rig and roll out -if it is a little heavy that will pay dividends when you're squeezing the trigger on a distant blacktail buck.

The components can be a donor rifle [rem 700] have it rebarreled or a custom action that cost $750-$1200.As w/ anything the sky is the limit.
If you give a dollar figure what you want to spend you'll definately get some good combinations for a parts list.

Also having a bullet or at least a bullet type in mind will help w/ barrel twist and action length decisions.
A long action will work better if you want to shoot the long for caliber VLD type bullets like the bergers/amax/wildcats.

Myself i'd go w/a long action rem 700 squared up blueprinted, a hs precision stock ,
# 5 fluted broughton or rockcreek barrel w/ canted land rifling -1 - 8 twist will shoot the heavy high BC bullets.
Get all the parts teflon coated -since you're in a wet region.
Zeiss 4.5x 14-44.
Just an opinion good luck -Mike

Last edited by ol mike; 08-31-2007 at 07:47 PM.
Old 08-31-2007, 09:04 PM

Sendero

I have a Remington Sendero SFII chambered in .300 Winchester. This would be an excellent platform then? I could seat the bullets as far out as needed for the WSM. What about feed problems with the WSM case? I am wanting to shoot 130gr and up for bullet selection,probably Berger and Wildcats(made in Canada). I am thinking stainless fluted at 27", maybe 28". I was wondering if I could go with a smaller(just a little) contour in the HS precision stock as well, that way keeping the weight the same but longer tube. There will be a bit more gap as far as being floated, but should not matter. What about bedding as well with the aluminum bedding block? Thanks again guys!
Old 08-31-2007, 10:59 PM
Platinum Member

Yuup that would make a good platform for the rifle you want.
I think the wsm's feed well in a long action.

You could go w/a 28" in a sendero contour no problem.

Also you could shed a good bit of weight with deep flutes cut into the barrel or a carbon wrapped barrel.
Do a search for carbon man + abs carbon wrap barrels =VERY trick set-up.
They take a barrel liner -i believe they're rockcreek barrels =5r rifling- then wrap carbon fiber around the liner [barrel] and make the barrel the same size as a normal barrel -although much less weight.
Goodgrouper did some infrared testing of the barrels and how well they shed heat -everything about them seems to be a good thing.Light ,good looking , accurate ,can somehow replace the barrel liner <-- i think..

I'm not sure what kind of weight you'd have w/a deep fluted or carbon wrapped barrel ,maybe flute the bolt also.

I have a rem 700 270win w/a hs precision stock -the stock appears to have a barrel channel for a magnum sporter barrel not a sendero/varmint barrel.
But the WAY BIG floated barrel look- looks good to me.

And yes the action will need bedded even though hs precision says it doesn't -all gunsmiths recommend bedding them and every other action.

I think a varmint/sendero hs precision stock is probably lighter than a sporterweght model b/c it just has more material hogged out of the barrel channel.
So a little blueprinting and bedding of the action and a deep fluted or carbon barrel -you're set.

To get more technical answers ask some of the gunsmith guys here like Kirby Allen , actually i think he built a 6.5 wsm for his wife in a bench type gun.
I'm sure you'll get more opinions on this tomorrow.

I did some research on some of the light titanium rifles that would feel better than a moderate weight rifle and many expierenced shooters told me they're great to carry but shooting long shots w/ them ==nope.Too shakey and more felt recoil etc. so i'm sticking w/ a traditional weight rifle .

I love the long barrel look and feel -a 27" barrel doesn't feel big to me i'm 6-2" so it's relative.

Well hope i didn't bore you -Mike
Old 08-31-2007, 11:39 PM

6.5 Wsm

Thanks very much for the help Mike, much appreciated, and some excellent information.