Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

6.5-284 mutt whacka'

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2010, 12:26 AM
Platinum Member

Re: 6.5-284 mutt whacka'

Chad,

Bad things happen to good people.......

You seemed to handle it well.........

I sense less frustration due to your own turn around time.

Nothing lost but some sleep........
Old 04-05-2010, 06:18 AM
Platinum Member

Chad,
Sweet looker. Got a picture of the ejection port side (left) so this action? Wonder how large a cutout Bat used on their actions.

I see you're a sponsor of this Forum now. That means you can lay it on hot and heavy now!

Warning to all... better get your orders in soon before Chad gets so busy it'll take 8 or more months to get the work completed. That's what happened to Kirby and Shawn. Expect the same with Chad. You've been warned.

Chad, which actions do you use the most with your custom builds for a bolt action repeater rifle? Thanks,

Last edited by phorwath; 04-05-2010 at 01:05 PM.
Old 04-05-2010, 08:51 AM
Gold Member

I'm a hooker when it comes to actions, I really don't care what action goes on what so long as it's made well, functions well, and is appropriate for the application.

If I were cornered and held at gunpoint I guess I'd have to choose the Nesika first. Only because I ran the shop for 3 years so there's an emotional attachment. I will admit that affection has eroded somewhat now that the old crew is long gone. I will say this though. I visit with the guys there now frequently and they are doing a nice job again. There were problems for awhile but they've gone back and researched the archive prints and revamped the programming. The 1st article receivers I saw a month or so ago were very, very, very nice. Something to keep in mind. . .

I really like the stuff Mr. Jim Borden is putting out. I have one in here now and it's THE HEAT. Very, very well made and the attention to detail is all top shelf. I can't wait to get this rifle wrapped up as it'll be a nice piece when its all done.

I like the Defiance actions as well. Glen and Lisa have done a remarkable job of getting back on their feet after the Nesika/Dakota Arms/Technology Funding fiasco. The Defiance stuff is a good piece. I've done a few rifles on them now and they have all shot very well, the finish work is good, and they deliver on time!-something of an oddity it seems in the custom action world.

Then there's the Barnards, Stillers, Stolle's, Anschutz, and Grunig and Elmiger, Bleikker, RPA quadlocks, etc.

There's a lot of good stuff out there and I've been fortunate to work on many of them. It boils down to individual taste.