Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

5R and 5C style of rifling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2011, 10:24 AM
Bronze Member

5R and 5C style of rifling

Has anyone had any long range experance with the canted style rifling like Broughton, Rock Creek and T/C use and how do they compare to standard type rifling
Old 03-24-2011, 12:03 PM
SPONSOR

Re: 5R and 5C style of rifling

Yes. We have tons of experience with this style of rifling. We build 90% of our rifles with Bartlein 5R tubes. I've also had a number of Rock Creek tubes on other rifles. Although there are several theoretical advantages to Boots' resurrection of this rifling style, I've become decidedly agnostic regarding this issue. I've seen way too many standard groove tubes deliver the same levels of accuracy.

Thoroughbred Rifles
Old 03-24-2011, 11:20 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHunter View Post
Yes. We have tons of experience with this style of rifling. We build 90% of our rifles with Bartlein 5R tubes. I've also had a number of Rock Creek tubes on other rifles. Although there are several theoretical advantages to Boots' resurrection of this rifling style, I've become decidedly agnostic regarding this issue. I've seen way too many standard groove tubes deliver the same levels of accuracy.
+1

Well said !!!!!

J E CUSTOM
Old 03-25-2011, 07:23 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHunter View Post
I ordered a couple of Broughotn 5C barrels, but I didn't order them for better accuracy. I figure that quality custom match grade barrels are very close in accuracy potential. I bought the Broughtons because they have a very good rep and their turn time is good as well.

I also like the the possiblility of higher muzzle velocities. Do you have an opinion that?

-Mark

Last edited by MontanaRifleman; 03-25-2011 at 07:27 PM.
Old 03-25-2011, 08:03 PM
Bronze Member

That is one of thing that has got me interested in building one with this type of barrel. But I want it for up to 800 yrd shot, which they claim is no problem . Also they say they clean real easy
Old 03-28-2011, 09:07 AM
SPONSOR

I haven't noticed any substantial velocity gain with standard bore/groove dimensions. If you spec a slightly tighter bore/groove, you can achieve higher velocities. I had a 22" 308 Rock Creek for a long time that had a .2995/.3075 bore/groove (if I remember correctly) that would outrun Remington factory 26" tubes by 25 fps on the exact same factory loads or handloads.

Be warned however that we've tried the whole tight bore/groove thing with other cartridges and bullets designed primarily for hunting and never been able to achieve adequate accuracy. The tight bore/groove idea evolved from the Palma crowd due to the variability of different international match ammo. It works great with match bullets due to their thinner jackets that obturate more easily. But add magnum speed and hunting bullets and things just don't seem to work very well.

As for cleaning, they do clean up a bit better. But I'm not a huge proponent of cleaning too much. Most barrels perform better (accuracy wise) after a few rounds. We generally recommend that our hunting clients sight in with the load they intend to use during hunting season, then clean really well, then foul with 3 to 5 rounds, go hunting and clean at the end of the season. Unless of course the barrel interior is subjected to some unusually dirty or wet conditions. We've actually noticed more cleaning differences between button vs cut barrels than between 5R vs standard groove barrels.

Thoroughbred Rifles
Old 03-28-2011, 09:52 AM
Platinum Member

On the issue of faster velocity from 1 barrel to the other it is as Texas hunter said.

The only thing that I have seen that seemed to increase the velocity
was the number of groves and rifling.(The less bearing surface the faster the bullet
and the less rifling the faster the bullet with barrel quality and finish being the same.

The best comparison I have is the 3 groove to the 6 groove Lilja.

The 3 groove is definitely faster in all the bore diameters I have to compare with.

Of Course there are many other factors that effect velocity, So this is just an observation
and of all the different rifling types and number of grooves I have been able to build and test
the 3 grove has allways been faster across the board.

Of course as with all things there is no free ride. The quality of the barrel and smithing has
the most to do with the end results.

J E CUSTOM