Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

.408 CheyTac Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2008, 12:14 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

NesikaChad,

Not to ruffle your feathers but the Nesika Model M does not have a thread diameter large enough to be safe with the 408 CT and its wildcat offspring.

Have you done this or seen it done? IF so, I would HIGHLY Recommend it not be done. Not a question of receiver strength, its a question of barrel thread shank diameter, not enough for this size of chambering.

All the 408 CT receivers I know if have at least a 1.125" thread diameter and most are larger then this. 1.0625" is not large enough for the CT or its wildcat siblings.

It may work for a while but your really stessing those barrels and if you use one of the softer barrels, you could be in serious trouble.

Just my opinion.

Just talked to Richard yesterday at Nesika, he said again they have no receiver that will work with the 408 CT and have no plans on making one.

My Raptor receiver is far stronger then the Nesika Model M receiver and there is no way I would ever consider chambering it in the 408 CT simply because of the barrel thread diameter issues mentioned.

Not meaning to offend you but I can not agree with your recommendations and feel there are HUGE liability issues at hand converting a Nesika M receiver for the 408 CT.

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 01-17-2008, 01:30 PM
Bronze Member

If standard actions are to weak for the CheyTac. What actions do you use to make a rifle? Or does each action have to be custom made? I still like the idea of a .408 cheytac or wildcat based on it but I just need more information.
Just curious
Lucas
Old 01-17-2008, 04:25 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

I have used several receivers designed specifically for the 408 CT and the very best one I have ever used and really the only one I recommend for my Xtreme Heavy Sporter rifles in my 408 based wildcat rounds is the BAT model M 8.5" x 1.55" diameter receiver. For size, weight, strength and accuracy, I have yet to see anything that will perform with this receiver.

Only problem is they take a while to get in.

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 01-17-2008, 06:59 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucasgreff View Post
If standard actions are to weak for the CheyTac. What actions do you use to make a rifle? Or does each action have to be custom made? I still like the idea of a .408 cheytac or wildcat based on it but I just need more information.
Just curious
Lucas
Check with Barney at Lawton Barrels he makes a action for the Chey-Tac case I have one on order for a 375/408 build.
Lawton Rifle Barrels~Home Page

Ken
Old 01-18-2008, 11:18 AM
Bronze Member

what kind of brass prices can I expect to see and how many places can I even get it? Is it comparable to good 50BMG brass? $2rd. can I expect to get 5-6 shots out of each round?
thanks, What would a custom build cost a guy if the action alone is $800?

Lucas
Old 01-21-2008, 01:07 AM
Gold Member

I worked on a project a little with Chey Tac in 2005/2006.

It was a semi auto AR-10 looking Contraption that they contracted through Dakota Arms in Sturgis, SD.

Nesika is part of Dakota Arms. That is actually who I worked for.

Anyways, I've seen the ballistics charts and yada yada.

This cartridge is supposed to be Gods answer to small arms projectiles. Far exceeding the performance of the Big 50's.

Never fired a shot in one so I have no personal experience on performance. I left the company prior to the completion of the project.

A former employee did see this through up to the end and he reported very good accuracy. The gun was only shot at 100 yards though.

Personally, just go with either a 338 Lapua or a 300 Remington Ultra Magnum.

Much more affordable and Remingtons can be modified to fit them.

Good luck.

C~
Old 01-21-2008, 04:33 AM
Gold Member

I woould suggest going the custom route with one of the many great smiths on the site. Accuracy GUARANTEE !!! Means the world to me !

DUH