Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

.408 CheyTac Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2008, 12:30 PM
Bronze Member

.408 CheyTac Questions

I am looking at having a custom rifle built. I have looked at the .338 Edge and the .338 Lapua. It appears that both of those can be built on Rem700 Magnum actions. Can a .408 cheytac be built on that action? If not what actions can it be built on?
Also I have been hard pressed to find either bullets or brass for reloading. Is this available? I believe that there are a few owners of these rifles or similiar ones on this forum so I thought I would ask here. I am pretty much just shopping around to see what will get me the most bang for my buck. I was just reading some info on a Chey-Tac M200 setting records and wondered it all the fuss is legit.

any help would be appreciated.

thanks

Lucas

Old 01-16-2008, 03:07 PM
Gold Member

I've worked on the 408 CheyTac.

While great in concept, in practice it is a royal pain in the rear end.

The brass is horrible. If you like up ten cases, they resemble a police line up. No two shoulders are alike.

Just beware that your initial nights will consist of reworking all the cases, then you better anneal them too.

I like to use molten lead for this.

Now you need a gun and your question answered.

No way is a Remington going to work for this cartridge. The case is just too big for the bolt. No safe way to do it anyways, not in my opinion.

I'd suggest a Nesika Model M. They won't do it for you, so you'll have to take to to someone who will. You need the M cause its long enough (with a little port elongating mind you ) and has the bigger bolt diameter which is what you REALLY need here. This case is a boomer for sure.

If you really get serious about it, please gimme a shout. I'd be happy to help if I could

Awesome round. Good luck.
Old 01-16-2008, 04:09 PM
Bronze Member

Wow, $1300 for an action? I think I will have to stick to the Edge or Lapua. It was a nice thought but I think the .408 is out of my league. Thanks for the information. I also don't know anything about modifying my own brass so I am out there too.
I wonder what other cartridge will reach out to 2000 yds w/ predictable accuracy?

Lucas
Old 01-16-2008, 10:11 PM
Gold Member

I am sure I will catch some flak for this but nothing really gets to 2K with "predicatable" accuracy. If we are really talking about LRH and ruling out anything under a 5" gun 2K is a fer piece. It seems that 2K is the "new" 1000 yard shot "right in the eye". I am not saying things can't eventually be hit that far and maybe even the first shot sometimes..... certainly? not. I guess sometimes I feel the need to be the nay sayer just to keep it real...

flame away
Old 01-17-2008, 10:15 AM
Bronze Member

I apologize. I have no intention of hunting at that distance. My furthest hunting kill was 400 yards so I am slowly going out at that distance. What I want is a rifle that will reach out as far as my ability can take me in time. Mostly for target shooting

sorry for the confusion

Lucas
Old 01-17-2008, 10:46 AM
Silver Member

Have you looked at armalite's AR-30 in 338 lapua?! factory rifle that would do everything you would want and cost less than a custom. I believe there are a few on here with experience with them. (maybe they will chime in with a yah or nah). check it out.

I am the way I am because I watched the movies "Red Dawn" and "Tremors" at a impressionable age.
Old 01-17-2008, 11:03 AM
Bronze Member

I have looked at that AR-30 quite a bit. As well as the TRG-42. The only thing that I really like about the customs by Shawn Carlock and others is that they send you a target shot with your rifle that seems to always be under 1/2 MOA. So your talking an extra $300-500 for a guaranteed shooter. Maybe less if you provide the stock and action to them. So while I am by no means counting that AR-30 out and am keeping an eye out on GunsAmerica and GunBroker as well as my local shops. If I can save up the money I would like a truly custom rifle.

That being said if anybody on this forum owns either a TRG-42 or AR-30 in .338 Lapua I would love to know how yours shoots and the quirks and eccentricities of them.
thanks
Lucas