Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

4.00" OAL extended magazine. DIY?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2013, 05:59 AM
SPONSOR

Re: 4.00" OAL extended magazine. DIY?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hired Gun View Post
It's only a couple (3 or 4) of advanced students in the project. They are not for resale. You can legally build your own gun.
However, AR 15 lowers fall under the "Youth Hand Gun Safety Act", because it can be assembled as a hand gun. As for the general/automotive machine shops. In this area there are four. NONE will do any gun work. They learned years ago, they'd need to be licensed to keep ATFE off their backs (and this state is one of the most gun friendly in the nation). Besides, they've got a back log of their normal work, now. If you own a .338UM and have to look for discounted or free custom work, even though milling for an extended mag box is a simple job, you can't afford to send any of those rounds down range, anyway.

Last edited by shortgrass; 03-29-2013 at 07:20 AM.
Old 03-30-2013, 11:21 AM
Platinum Member

Re: 4.00" OAL extended magazine. DIY?

"If you own a .338UM and have to look for discounted or free custom work, even though milling for an extended mag box is a simple job, you can't afford to send any of those rounds down range, anyway. "

I wouldnt be taking anything into a highschool, in Canada that is a major no-go. With previous consent (written) from a college, and the firearm disassembled I could take it into a college machine class. The fact of the matter is I am not cheap, I simply do not have the time to drive the 2 1/2 hrs to the nearest proffesional gunsmith that has not answered my calls or emails (I guess the job isnt worth his time).

There are simply not alot of gunsmiths around up here, and the ones that we do have are extremely busy, or extremely bad. If I had a college do it, I would have worked something out with the teacher for financial compensation. I LIKE TO GIVE LEARNING PEOPLE A CHANCE TO TRY SOMETHING NEW.