Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

4.00" OAL extended magazine. DIY?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2013, 09:48 PM
Platinum Member

4.00" OAL extended magazine. DIY?

I have a .338 RUM that I would like to put an longer mag in, but dont feel like paying $200 for a gun smith to install it, when the guys in these parts will probably just use a dremel anyways.

So my question is, has anybody done this themselves? I know that I would also have to machine the bolt stop down. Can I do it with a dremel (im pretty good with power tools.)?
Old 03-26-2013, 10:03 PM
Silver Member

Re: 4.00" OAL extended magazine. DIY?

You could do it yourself but my smith only charged me $50 to mill out the back for my wyatt magazine box and I filed the bolt stop myself. Looks a whole lot neater than if I had tried to freehand it . If you try it yourself be very careful not to heat it and loose the temper around where you grind. I was happy to pay to have it professionally milled.
Old 03-26-2013, 10:48 PM
Platinum Member

Sorry . A dremil ? No self respecting smith would use one.

I have had to clean up after someone used one many times and it cost much more to fix a
mess than to do it right the first time.

I know it looks easy and it is with the right tools. But It is very easy to screw things up with a dremil
beyond repair and if you ever try to sell it you will almost have to give it away if they spot the work
done with one.

Just a suggestion.

J E CUSTOM
Old 03-27-2013, 07:12 AM
SPONSOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by angus-5024 View Post
I have a .338 RUM that I would like to put an longer mag in, but dont feel like paying $200 for a gun smith to install it, when the guys in these parts will probably just use a dremel anyways.

So my question is, has anybody done this themselves? I know that I would also have to machine the bolt stop down. Can I do it with a dremel (im pretty good with power tools.)?
You can do it with Dremel Tool. It'll look like chit, the box many not fit well, and the value of the rifle/receiver will be lower than before you did it. Have you considered a chisel and a 3# hammer? A Dremel Tool a 'power' tool? More like a "trouble maker"!
Old 03-27-2013, 12:18 PM
Platinum Member

You could save a bunch of grinding if you bulked out most of it with an Air Arc or Plasma cutter. Not!

Use a mill. You could probably get it done for free at your local community college or even high school as long as they have a decent metal shop program.

Only accurate rifles are interesting.

Gordy and Brady.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:09 PM
Platinum Member

all right all right, I kinda figured as much. The smith in town here is, well... nice but lacking in proffesionalism. The nearest smith is 2.5 hours away. I guess its worth it. Ohh the lengths we go to make our guns a better system.

Thanks guys!
Old 03-27-2013, 09:10 PM
Platinum Member

" You could probably get it done for free at your local community college or even high school as long as they have a decent metal shop program. "

I like this idea. Im always one to give kids a chance to try something, with pay.