close
Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Reply

338 Lapua ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Unread 07-27-2010, 01:10 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 13
338 Lapua ?

A friend is selling his Rem 700 BDL in 338 RUM. The barrel is worn out and he'll sell it to me cheap. If I buy it can it be converted into a 338 Lapua. Is the action strong enough to handle the 338 Lapua.

Thanks
Reply With Quote
  •   #2  
    Unread 07-27-2010, 01:29 AM
    Platinum Member
     
    Join Date: Feb 2005
    Location: Nevada
    Posts: 2,782
    Re: 338 Lapua ?

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by roshjohn View Post
    A friend is selling his Rem 700 BDL in 338 RUM. The barrel is worn out and he'll sell it to me cheap. If I buy it can it be converted into a 338 Lapua. Is the action strong enough to handle the 338 Lapua.

    Thanks
    To my understanding, most gun smiths in this site will advice you against it. Many of them would be happy to build you a 338-300 RUM (338 EDGE) which is suppose to have just an edge over the LP using the 300 gr. SMK.
    __________________
    -----------------------------

    -----------------------------
    HEBREWS 13:8
    Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.

    Our Lord Jesus said that as it was in the days of Noah and
    also as it was in the days of Lot so it shall be in the days...
    It's happening again!!! God sent to us His prophet, and His Word
    to this generation and we once more are rejecting it as was prophesied!!!

    ---> As promised, God Sent His Prophet to us!
    Reply With Quote

      #3  
    Unread 07-27-2010, 08:40 AM
    Platinum Member
     
    Join Date: Jul 2004
    Location: Texas
    Posts: 6,922
    Re: 338 Lapua ?

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eaglet View Post
    To my understanding, most gun smiths in this site will advice you against it. Many of them would be happy to build you a 338-300 RUM (338 EDGE) which is suppose to have just an edge over the LP using the 300 gr. SMK.

    +1

    The reason is not strength but bolt face size. If you open up the Remington and most other
    bolts to accommodate the larger case head of the Lapua .588 and other large case heads (over
    .600) the extractor becomes fragile because it has to be thinned to fit in the bolt. also the ring
    arround the bolt is almost removed (Bolt Dia. is arround .700).

    For the Lapua sized cases I recomend the Weatherby or custom actions with larger bolts and
    longer magazines.

    The SAAMI 338 Lapua does not have the case capacity of the RUM or the EDGE and has
    no benefits other than better brass over the RUM and EDGE.

    So if a person just wants a Lapua then I recomend going with a 338 Lapua improved and then
    it is worth the cost and effort and will match or exceed the performance of the RUM or the EDGE.

    If you are into reloading and fire forming then it is one of the best 338 rounds out there. Other
    wise the RUM is strait forward and will perform well beyond the ability of most under hunting
    conditions.

    This is just my opinion for what it's worth.

    PS: after posting I noticed a factory Remington for sale under the Guns for sale thread that is new.
    it might be worth looking into.

    J E CUSTOM
    __________________
    "PRESS ON"

    Last edited by J E Custom; 07-27-2010 at 08:47 AM.
    Reply With Quote
      #4  
    Unread 07-27-2010, 05:00 PM
    SPONSOR
     
    Join Date: Mar 2004
    Location: Danville, PA
    Posts: 1,102
    Re: 338 Lapua ?

    I have to agree with the others. I wouldn't have ever build a 338 Lapua on a Remington simply because of the bolt face diameter, but I just ran a cross a new replacement bolt for the Remington 700 long action by Competitive Edge Gun Works that has a special extractor, has a 338 Lapua bolt face and has plenty of meat left. I'll be building a 338 Lapua using this bolt in the near future, so hopefully it works well. Here's what it looks like.

    [IMG]file:///Users/kevincram/Library/Caches/TemporaryItems/moz-screenshot-2.png[/IMG][IMG]file:///Users/kevincram/Library/Caches/TemporaryItems/moz-screenshot-3.png[/IMG]
    __________________
    Home of the "EXTENDED IMPACT" DVD

    www.mcrifles.com

    Last edited by Kevin Cram; 07-27-2010 at 05:05 PM.
    Reply With Quote
      #5  
    Unread 07-27-2010, 09:29 PM
    Silver Member
     
    Join Date: Jul 2007
    Location: Maryland
    Posts: 479
    Re: 338 Lapua ?

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by roshjohn View Post
    A friend is selling his Rem 700 BDL in 338 RUM. The barrel is worn out and he'll sell it to me cheap. If I buy it can it be converted into a 338 Lapua. Is the action strong enough to handle the 338 Lapua.

    Thanks
    Yes but it is much easier to open up a standard bolt face. I would get a PTG bolt comes with a M-16 style pinned extractor and your smith can order the bolt to be as tight a fit as you want. I am running one in my 700 in 338 Norma same bolt face as Lapua.
    __________________
    "Fast is fine accurate is final"
    Reply With Quote
      #6  
    Unread 07-27-2010, 10:16 PM
    Platinum Member
     
    Join Date: Jul 2004
    Location: Texas
    Posts: 6,922
    Re: 338 Lapua ?

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kevin Cram View Post
    I have to agree with the others. I wouldn't have ever build a 338 Lapua on a Remington simply because of the bolt face diameter, but I just ran a cross a new replacement bolt for the Remington 700 long action by Competitive Edge Gun Works that has a special extractor, has a 338 Lapua bolt face and has plenty of meat left. I'll be building a 338 Lapua using this bolt in the near future, so hopefully it works well. Here's what it looks like.

    [IMG]file:///Users/kevincram/Library/Caches/TemporaryItems/moz-screenshot-2.png[/IMG][IMG]file:///Users/kevincram/Library/Caches/TemporaryItems/moz-screenshot-3.png[/IMG]
    Kevin is that extractor under the bolt lugs?

    Looks very interesting . If you can, could you post a close up of this bolt and the extractor?

    Thanks ; It is never to late to learn something.

    J E CUSTOM
    __________________
    "PRESS ON"
    Reply With Quote
      #7  
    Unread 07-28-2010, 07:34 AM
    SPONSOR
     
    Join Date: Mar 2004
    Location: Danville, PA
    Posts: 1,102
    Re: 338 Lapua ?

    This was a stock photo I pulled off midway's website. From what I understand it is a pinned m16 extractor but at the 3 o'clock position. I'm assuming the slot is edm'd into the bolt. I haven't got one in hand yet but when I do I'll post some better pics.
    __________________
    Home of the "EXTENDED IMPACT" DVD

    www.mcrifles.com
    Reply With Quote
    Reply

    Bookmarks

    Thread Tools
    Display Modes


    Similar Threads for: 338 Lapua ?
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    NORMA 338 Lapua brass VS Lapua ! Hmmmm? 300WSMMAD Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics 9 10-09-2012 02:48 PM
    What is the difference between Norma and Lapua 338 Lapua Magnum brass? jhegg Reloading 8 05-22-2012 12:12 AM
    ***WTS--Lapua 338 Lapua Brass**100 Peices NEW*** jcvibby Reloading Equipment and Components 2 08-21-2011 10:02 AM
    sako trg-42 338 lapua vs McMillan MCRT .338 Lapua Tactical kidcoltoutlaw Equipment Discussions 9 07-16-2009 09:45 AM
    WTS: 125 .338 Lapua (Lapua Brand) Once Fired Brass... *** SOLD *** Bronson90 Guns For Sale 1 08-07-2004 01:53 PM


    All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:40 PM.


    Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
    All content ©2010-2015 Long Range Hunting, LLC