Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

.338 edge on browning a bolt?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2009, 05:12 PM

.338 edge on browning a bolt?

I have a Browning A Bolt 7mag that I picked up cheap after a friend blew the barrel off & I want to build a 338 EDGE on the action. I have already found a magazine & bolt head for a 300RUM. My main question is does any one know of any problems that maybe encountered with this build? THANKS BAMA338NUTT!

Last edited by BAMA338NUTT; 02-15-2009 at 07:08 PM.
Old 02-15-2009, 07:51 PM
Platinum Member

Re: .338 edge on browning a bolt?

I would have reservations building on an action that Someone "blew the barrel off" You could be dealing with multiple issues, including metal fatige, from a series of over pressure loads, or the catostrophic load that tore up the rifle.

If you duck hunt, you have an expensive decoy wieght.
Old 02-15-2009, 08:01 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyboy View Post
I would have reservations building on an action that Someone "blew the barrel off" You could be dealing with multiple issues, including metal fatige, from a series of over pressure loads, or the catostrophic load that tore up the rifle.

If you duck hunt, you have an expensive decoy wieght.

+1,000,000.00

Don't use it !!!! Nothing good can come of it.

J E CUSTOM
Old 02-15-2009, 09:19 PM

The barrel didn't literally blow up but the gun has a ring around the barrel that nobody knows where it came from. The gun has been checked out by two gunsmiths & they say its safe. The barrel has a ring around it about 7" from the tip kinda like a belt on a magnum case about a 1/2 wide you can't see it but you can feel it. They guy I got the gun from had it checked out & that gunsmith suggested cutting & recrowning the barrel. One of the gunsmith I took it to suggested rebarreling it the other checked it out & shot it he said he wouldn't worry about it. The guy that checked it & said rebarrel it said he wouldn't trust the barrel since we dont know where the hump came from. We took the word of the gunsmith that said not to trust the barrel so I bought it to help him out so he could get a new gun he didn't like the magnum anyway & I was looking for a new project. But I may after hearing back from you guys just take the stock & scope off it & get another action! The last gunsmith suggested the rebarrel said someone blew the barrel off thats why I said it like I did. THANKS BAMA338NUT!
Old 02-16-2009, 04:08 AM
Platinum Member

If your friend never had a hard time getting the action open after he fired it, then I'd say the action is probably still sound. But if he had to knock the action open with a 2x4, or gases blew back in his face after touching off a round, then I'd be concerned.

Is the headspace still within specs? Has he still got full eyebrows and eyelids over/on each eye?
Old 02-16-2009, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phorwath View Post
If your friend never had a hard time getting the action open after he fired it, then I'd say the action is probably still sound. But if he had to knock the action open with a 2x4, or gases blew back in his face after touching off a round, then I'd be concerned.

Is the headspace still within specs? Has he still got full eyebrows and eyelids over/on each eye?
He never had a problem getting the bolt to open & it has been checked with go no go gauges I have most of the brass that was ever fired from the rifle none show any sign of high presssure. He owned this rifle since it was new about 12 years & never had a problem with the gun he just found a hump in the barrel when he cleaned it. THANKS BAMA338NUT.
Old 02-21-2009, 10:48 AM

Do any of you guys have any suggestions on recoil lug size?
I was thinking about a Holland .370 or Callahan .300.