Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

300 RUM Sendero mods

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2011, 10:59 PM
Bronze Member

300 RUM Sendero mods

I was wondering if anyone can suggest a few ides or ways to lighten up my 300 RUM Sendero SFII. I have a Vortex Viper PST scope on it with seekins precision rings and 20 MOA base.

I have not made any modifications to this gun other than the scope, base and rings. My intentions for the gun is to Elk hunt in New Mexico which has pretty rugged terrain. I am a little worried about the overall weight of this rifle and lugging it up and down the mountains. I don't want to give up accuracy but was wondering if there is anything I or a gunsmith can do to make the gun noticeably lighter. If you think I am better off sucking it up and lugging around a heavy rifle for the added accuracy just let me know. I am pretty new to this so any and all suggestions are welcome.

Thanks in advance!

-Fred
Old 04-12-2011, 11:16 PM
Platinum Member

Re: 300 RUM Sendero mods

Pack less other stuff and leave the rifle weight alone. That's where the rubber meets the road.

I jokingly tell the guys that I hunt with just take a dump in the morning and that should save a couple of pounds.Ha Ha.

If you try to save pack weight you would be amazed at how easy it is.

J E CUSTOM
Old 04-13-2011, 12:25 AM
Gold Member

Look into one of the Eberlestock or similiar packs. It makes a big difference putting one of these in a pack as opposed to slinging it over your shoulder.
Old 04-13-2011, 12:32 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J E Custom View Post
Pack less other stuff and leave the rifle weight alone. That's where the rubber meets the road.

I jokingly tell the guys that I hunt with just take a dump in the morning and that should save a couple of pounds.Ha Ha.

If you try to save pack weight you would be amazed at how easy it is.

J E CUSTOM
Thanks for the note...I tend to agree with you, just didn't know if keeping the weight was integral to the accuracy.

Thanks again!
Old 04-13-2011, 11:27 AM
Silver Member

I too am faced with the problem of either trading for a lighter gun or figure out a way to lighten it up.
Old 04-13-2011, 12:33 PM
Bronze Member

This is a tough dilema to have. I think it may just be better for me to keep the gun and get in better shape.

I am sure if I am in better shape the heavier gun wont be as much of a chore.
Old 04-13-2011, 02:56 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooter Fred View Post
This is a tough dilema to have. I think it may just be better for me to keep the gun and get in better shape.

I am sure if I am in better shape the heavier gun wont be as much of a chore.

The reason I recommend a medium to heavy rifle is no matter how good of shape your in,
sometimes you have to go for a shooting position in a hurry and the heaver rifle is a lot more
steady when you are out of breath or shooting offhand or from a poor position.

They also help in the wind.

One of my buddies carries a 6 pack of cokes in his pack and complains about the weight of
the rifle.

One of the good packs with a rifle Carry feature will make a big difference (The rifle will become
part of the pack weight be even more manageable.

J E CUSTOM