Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

300 RUM mag box

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2007, 02:15 PM
Platinum Member

300 RUM mag box

Lucked into a stock, action and barrel at super deal and all the gunsmithing. I am building a 300 RUM. The action is a 700 long action without any bottom metal.

700 LA
Joel Russo A5
1-10 twist Lilja 30" 1.25 tapered to .975

What mag box should I use for the 300 RUM? Have bunch of 200 accubonds on the way as the desired bullet.

Is it the standard 700 long action magnum box or go ahead or just go get a Wyatts and which one?

BH
Old 08-20-2007, 03:17 PM
Bronze Member

I changed a 700 BDL 7mag to a 300 UM and I had to get a UM box to get them to feed. Installed the new box and fed just like it's supposed to.
Hope that answers your ??
Old 08-20-2007, 04:00 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Go to brownells and order in a Wyatts Extended Window box magazine for the Rem 700. It will give you additional length so you can get the bullets out where they should be. Max internal box length is 3.820" so its much longer then the 3.675" factory box.

The receiver needs some easy milling at the rear of the mag well and the bolt stop needs some taken off it for increased bolt throw and the bottom metal will need to be modified slightly but all this is VERY easy to do.

Some stocks do not need to have the mag well extended some do but that is easy as well.

When finished there is no sign that the rifle is anything other then original.

Again, this is not a hard job with any size milling machine.

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com