Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

30-06 wont chamber

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2011, 08:25 AM
Silver Member

Re: 30-06 wont chamber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldon View Post
+1 on Scope BAse screws.
I think that's a good hypothesis. The way to check that is to see if it will close on an empty chamber. If it does, it isn't scope screws, though I've had them do this to me, the front action screw can do it too.

I ruled out the action screw since he said he tried it with the receiver out of the stock which would mean no action screw installed.

Fitch
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." R. Feynman. (Last sentence of the Feynman appendix to the Space Shuttle Challenger Report.)
Old 04-26-2011, 08:56 AM
Silver Member

It closes fine on an empty chamber, and the chamber appears to be clean as a whisle.....and, nope no cleaning patch .
Old 04-26-2011, 04:15 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpbaker View Post
It closes fine on an empty chamber, and the chamber appears to be clean as a whisle.....and, nope no cleaning patch .
OK. Will it close on a Go-Gage?

Fitch
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." R. Feynman. (Last sentence of the Feynman appendix to the Space Shuttle Challenger Report.)
Old 04-27-2011, 04:39 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitch View Post
OK. Will it close on a Go-Gage?

Fitch
Not sure what a Go Gage is. But, is it possible that some bedding compound did get into the chamber. It appears to be clean. However with the edge/axis the recoil lug is bedded into the stock, and the barrel nut is notched for the recoil lug, and the barrel threads are visible. So im wondering if compound found its way into the chamber somehow....

Like I said it appears clean, but....now im starting to wonder.....

TKS
JPB
Old 04-27-2011, 05:36 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpbaker View Post
Not sure what a Go Gage is. But, is it possible that some bedding compound did get into the chamber. It appears to be clean. However with the edge/axis the recoil lug is bedded into the stock, and the barrel nut is notched for the recoil lug, and the barrel threads are visible. So im wondering if compound found its way into the chamber somehow....

Like I said it appears clean, but....now im starting to wonder.....

TKS
JPB
Barrel nuts are seldom notched for recoil lugs. Something is either not right or you aren't understanding what you are looking at. Is this a Savage? If so, you may have a simple resolution but you will need a go-gage.

A Go-Gage is the gage used by a gunsmith to determine if the chamber is the proper depth. If the chamber is too shallow, headspacing too short, you would have the symptoms you are experiencing.

Headspace gages come in two flavors for the .30-06. The Go Gage which should fit in the chamber with the bolt closed, a No-Go gage which is a few thousandts longer and shouldn't fit in the chamber with the bolt closed.

The Go-Gage is a precision ground solid steel gage that is inserted in the chamber like a cartridge. They are not expensive. This one should tell you if the chamber is undersize or not, and it's in stock: PTG Headspace Go Gage 30-06 Springfield, 25-06 Remington, 270 Winchester, 8mm-06 Springfield, 338-06 A-Square, 35 Whelen - MidwayUSA

When the obvious mechanical possibilities are exhausted, an undersized chamber has to be ruled out, especially when the problem happens with factory ammo. The Go-Gage is the tool that will give you that answer.

Fitch
Old 04-28-2011, 04:26 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitch View Post
Barrel nuts are seldom notched for recoil lugs. Something is either not right or you aren't understanding what you are looking at. Is this a Savage?

Fitch
Well im pretty sure what im looking at, and I understand that this recoil lug system is specific to the Savage edge/axis.

And Im sorry, its the receiver that is notched not the barrel nut.

There are some pics of what im talking about in this review:
Savage Edge Rifle Review | Big Game Hunt

I got a go gage ordered as well, sounds like it might be needed .

TKS
JPB

Last edited by jpbaker; 04-28-2011 at 04:37 AM.
Old 05-02-2011, 08:14 PM
Bronze Member

Find a brass brush slighty bigger than that chamber to clean it .

Glenn