I killed 4 mule deer in 2008 and killed 5 in 2009 with a .270 I built.
Most of the shots were between 400 and 500 yards, shot prone with a 9-13" swivel bipod.
I was shooting 130 gr Nosler ballistic tips.
I used a Leica CRF rangefinder and chart made from Quicktarget calculations.
I shot them broadside aiming for the front 1/3 of the animal.
Half the deer were bang-flop, and the other half averaged 75 feet of travel.
Backed out to 200 yards and did a minni ladder test.
56.3gr 4831sc, AVG=2788, ES=15, SD=8.5
56.5gr 4831sc, AVG=2802, ES=24, SD=9.3
56.7gr 4831sc, AVG=2813, ES=23, SD=10.6
Each test group has 5 rounds.
The 56.7gr test while statistically the worst, showed the best group. However, it is too hot. It is showing some flattened primers and some gas leakage around one primer. I will have to change powders to make this work any better. Going to try H1000 and see how that works