Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

223/22 hornet length actions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2013, 01:38 AM
Silver Member

Re: 223/22 hornet length actions

i am all for a 700 foot print on actual short actions and long actions etc, great stock choices etc, but i hate the engineering of the action, the extractor, solid bolt head etc. i digress. i had considered a falling block, or break action but was concerned about accuracy issues with the scope being mounted over the barrel. a real concern? also, what about bipods, the short fore-end on a 85 stiff enough to lay on?
Old 03-05-2013, 10:58 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vendetta333 View Post
i am all for a 700 foot print on actual short actions and long actions etc, great stock choices etc, but i hate the engineering of the action, the extractor, solid bolt head etc. i digress. i had considered a falling block, or break action but was concerned about accuracy issues with the scope being mounted over the barrel. a real concern? also, what about bipods, the short fore-end on a 85 stiff enough to lay on?
I don't know about Winchester, but Browning did a Lo-Wall in 22 Hornet and .223 Remington. I have a Lo-Wall in .223, and it's a pretty neat rifle.
gary
Old 03-05-2013, 11:17 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trickymissfit View Post
I read this thread, and the first action to pop up in my mind was the Mark X, "Mini Mauser". (if they are still being made) A very similar design to the CZ, but also kind of petit!
gary
Cute little devils if you can find one. Its been so long since I've seen one I thought maybe I imagined them when I first read this post.
Old 03-05-2013, 12:57 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HARPERC View Post
Cute little devils if you can find one. Its been so long since I've seen one I thought maybe I imagined them when I first read this post.
I'm not positive, but I think they also offered that action in the 7.62x39 bolt face (PPC).
gary
Old 03-05-2013, 01:09 PM
SPONSOR

Zastava "Mini's" are listed on Century International Arms web site. Listed as "coming soon". Have been listed as "coming soon" for 8-9 months, maybe longer. The last ones, imported by Charles Daly, were pretty 'cheap' , IMO.
Old 03-06-2013, 12:05 AM
Silver Member

just for ease of getting the project started, do you guys think that i would be able to get bolt accuracy out of a NEF Handi or TC encore? handi's are uber cheap and i can have my smith make up the stock i want, and my uncle has a tc i may be able to pry off of him, but this rig is going to be soley used to shoot squirrels and rabbits out to 300. headshots to be specific, i eat what ikill, no matter what, besides disease obviously lol. i have heard great things reguarding the accuracy of the round, one guy said that his particular rifle was getting 1 inches at250! my other concern is the barrel. i would like to go pac-nor, pretty set actually, but not sure if they will make barrles for tc or nef.
Old 03-06-2013, 08:35 AM
SPONSOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by vendetta333 View Post
just for ease of getting the project started, do you guys think that i would be able to get bolt accuracy out of a NEF Handi or TC encore? handi's are uber cheap and i can have my smith make up the stock i want, and my uncle has a tc i may be able to pry off of him, but this rig is going to be soley used to shoot squirrels and rabbits out to 300. headshots to be specific, i eat what ikill, no matter what, besides disease obviously lol. i have heard great things reguarding the accuracy of the round, one guy said that his particular rifle was getting 1 inches at250! my other concern is the barrel. i would like to go pac-nor, pretty set actually, but not sure if they will make barrles for tc or nef.
???