Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

2 possible hunting rifle builds - which one?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 08-02-2009, 05:51 PM
Platinum Member
Re: 2 possible hunting rifle builds - which one?

Brake can be done away with - just trying to be perfect (if possible) on this build!!

Unread 08-04-2009, 08:28 AM
Gold Member

There's something here I have never understood.

Being in the middle east for almost three years I can appreciate the need to mitigate a dust signature from a defensive marksman rifle or a sniper rifle.

I don't get it though when your out shooting critters that need killin.

Unless a guy is sniping mutts or yotes (in other words, a hunting pass time that involves a volume of ammunition) I am really struggling to understand why a dust signature is so detrimental. I would think that with all the world class marksman that this country possesses it shouldn't take more than one or two cartridges to bring home the bacon. Are we worried that our finely crafted custom guns will get dirty from the particulate that the brake kicks up?

I know I sound like a cynical _rick right now but I just don't get it and I build these things for a living.

The nutz and boltz of this is that the two cartridges you are pondering are in fact high velocity, high energy, magnums that produce a fair amount of recoil. As you attempt to reduce the overall weight of the rifle, perceived recoil is going to increase. If your shooting one or two shots then that is probably acceptable. Just be mindful though that having a custom gun built means the work just started ones you take delivery. You still will have to develop the hand loads and get your zeros sorted out.

Your shoulder is going to be there every time you pull that trigger.

I personally advocate the Vaise brakes because they do work and they don't look like a Mad Max trucker's shifter knob on the end of a rifle barrel. I'm a stickler for cosmetics though so take what I say with a big ol grain of salt.

Good luck in your quest for a great gun.

Unread 08-07-2009, 11:13 AM

Both of your specs sound like great builds, but I do have to agree with Chad on this one. If 400 is you max there really is no need for the 300 wsm or the 300 Ultra unless you want that caliber for bragging rights. You could step down to a 6.5mm cartridge and still have plenty of performance at that range without the punishment on your shoulder. Brakes are great, there on almost every gun I own but some aren't really needed. One of my favorite rifles is my 6.5-.284. I can push a 140g A-max about 2950 fps and have enough energy to kill big game outto 800 yards. The rifle recoil is mild and my children even enjoy shooting it. With that said though either of the calibers you chose will deffinately do the job. It all falls down to personal preference. Good luck with your build.