Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

1st Timney trigger on M77 MKII

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2014, 11:27 PM
Bronze Member

1st Timney trigger on M77 MKII

I just installed my first Timney trigger. First to install and first to own. It went into a Ruger M77 MkII .300Win Mag. I expected to have to file the block for the safety, but it was way more involved than that. Maybe I got a bad one or maybe because it's an early '90s rifle... I don't know. First off, the trigger itself was too wide to fit into the slot in the receiver. It was too large by .009" which is huge when working with a fine file. I ended up using a dremel with a sanding drum. I kept checking the fit to make sure I didn't go too far. Next was the safety block on the trigger. I took nearly an 1/8" of material off with a file. It fits perfect but WOW, I never expected to remove so much.

Then it was the spring... No matter how heavy I adjusted the pull weight, I couldn't close the bolt without a slam fire. I finally used the factory spring. That did the trick. Overall it weighs in right at 1lb so I'm happy. I even ran the bolt over 100 times in a VIGOROUS manner and I can say that it won't slam fire.

Range testing will begin this weekend but I won't be so naieve about the Timney triggers again
Old 02-22-2014, 10:37 AM
SPONSOR

Re: 1st Timney trigger on M77 MKII

Your experience with the installation on a Ruger was typical. Those issues are not typical when installing a Timney on a Remington, Mauser, Howa,,,, just to the Rugers, new model or old model. Occasionally, issues with safety engagement are encountered with installation of a Timney on Winchester70. That issue only exists sometimes with the Model 70, not all the time.
Old 02-22-2014, 11:29 AM
Bronze Member

I'm glad to know that problem isn't unique to me or my rifle. I'm glad I did it and I'd do it again, but it was a very tense project!
Old 02-22-2014, 01:24 PM
Silver Member

My SIL and myself have installed Timney triggers in several MK II Ruger rifles and I have never had to remove that much stock material, and usually none at all. I don't know why the spring with the Timney trigger wouldn't let you adjust safely because every Timney I have installed had to be lightened a little after installation. Strange!
Old 02-26-2014, 07:48 PM
Bronze Member

So far, since the new trigger, I've got a new 208 amax load going. Getting just below 1/2" groups at 100yds on sandbags with 71.5g of H4831sc and WLRM primers. Should I stretch out the distance?...!